1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does rainy weather NOW cancel installs?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Aug 21, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Lately, it has been raining at least every few days around here. Irrigation systems have not been needed to run much, if at all.

Does that cause any of your clients to putoff or even cancel installs (or add ons)?

What do you say (besides "next Spring it will cost more") to convince the wafflers to go forward NOW?

::nose pressed to the window, watching the steady rain falling::
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Expand your operation, get out of irrigation, it is a dead end occupation.
  3. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

4. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Amen Brotha
  5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

No, unless they feel it might tear up their lawn more.

Nothing, let them decide.

You need more service accounts. There's alot to make in spring and fall and I enjoy time off due to rainy periods and winter.:)
  6. WalkGood

What I was getting at is, customer looks at lawn after all this rain lately and says, "Gee I dont think I need that install now since my lawn looks fine without it".
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at one where the turf & plantings looked great, he watered the turf
    after work with a beer or two, she kept the (well established ) plants happy.
    I looked at him & said. "you don't need me". Couple of days later, a letter
    from these people comes..inside a $50.00 bill with the note saying,
    "you're the only contractor that has ever talked me out of spending money!"
  8. WalkGood

It made me wonder about areas that get rain often.... how difficult is it to sell irrigation systems to homeowners?
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in the supposedly rainy Seattle area there are many homes with irrigation systems. These are the homes with a significant amount invested in their landscapes, and the homeowners know that an irrigation system will keep their lawns healthy and make their properties more valuable. Around here it's usually pretty dry from July through September, and a lawn that is not watered regularly will turn brown and weedy. Drive up a street during a typical August around here and it's easy to spot homes with irrigation and those without.
  10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I do this all the time, no one have ever sent me $50. :cry: :cry: :cry: