Does seed go bad?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by birddseedd, Apr 28, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Planted some seed from last year. Rain buried the seed. but it's not growing. the buried stuff or unburied stuff. i'v seen some other seed growing.

whats goin on?

edit: kbg and fiscuse i believe it is

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What are your Growing Degree Days in Kalamazoo?
    Wait.
    http://www.gddtracker.net/
    I looked it up: 916 growing degree days--if you use a base of 22 degrees. (Same in my town, and I have a few tiny sprouts of ryegrass).
    In theory, grass seed should not go bad. However, if you planted blue and fine fescue and no ryegrass, their germination will be slower than perennial rye. I would expect sprouting of the first seedlings in the next few days.

Growing degree days are (at Base 50) 22 for me and 25 for Kalamazoo

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  3. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

As an experiment we threw some down on my own lawn late last fall. Never raked in, wintered over and now all of the sudden sprouting everywhere. TTTF and KBG (excellent high quality seed though). This up in Maine.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I still had seed on the surface, under the snow, becuz it was never exposed to the freeze/thaw cycle... As soon as the snow was gone and the ground thawed we never got a hard enough freeze since then to 'pimple' the open dirt... today we are beginning a week long episode of 'warm rains' after the sun has spent 3 days of drying out and warming up the soil... I hope to see germination by the end of the week...

Great observation, McFarland,,, :)

5. birddseedd

I think i'm just gonna put down more seed. this seed isnt growing for whatever the reason

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

The germination rate will go down with age, particularly if the seed was stored where the humidity was high. Some of it should germinate though. Maybe give it more time.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, seed does "go bad". Does that answer your question?

8. birddseedd

What kind of shelf life doesn't have

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Really? I have never had any luck getting any kind of germination without a loose soil seed bed either from aerating or from loosening the soil in spots with a stiff rake or weasel. So you threw it down on hard ground and it is now germinating?