Does seed go bad?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by birddseedd, Apr 28, 2013.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't give up on new seed. It takes time--warmth and moisture. The soil temperature here hit 60 today; that is under turf in a semi-shady spot, at a depth of about 2 inches. Air temp warmest of the year at 77.

I have tiny signs of sprouts in my outdoor containers planted during each month of the winter, but I am waiting a few days to be sure, as they are mostly less than 1/4 inch tall.

2. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

We have found that when over seeding we apply lime at 25lbs per 1,000 and alfalfa at 10lbs 1,000 our success rate is outstanding.

I don't know your pH but I would get a Kelway meter to get a reading and find out if you need lime.

3. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the advice. ill put that on the list. have any good reading about soil levels?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't bother. There are far better meters. Further, unless you have the ability to calculate buffer pH, you can't determine correct liming rates.

5. birddseedd

no idea what that means.

i coudl always just mix in some fresh top soil. that should even things out.

6. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

My fert guy said to store seed in a freezer when not using it
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes - I was completely shocked! I guess some fall rain and over winter weight of snow and stuff may have forced some into the soil a bit but yes. I'll take a picture tomorrow. Sprouting everywhere on the bare ground - you can still see a fair amount of seed still on top too.

Jason

8. birddseedd

i see no grass :(

9. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Good question. I have stored seed for years in rubbermaid containers and it grew very well when planted. A few years ago Smithsonian Magazine had an artice about some grass seed that was recovered in a jar from a 2000 year old wreck. It was planted and it grew. I would have to say that it is all in the storage and planting.

10. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there would be a problem with one year old seed. The seed I used in the beginning of the year was my leftover seed from last year and it has come in fine.

A few years ago we were doing some work on our property and I used some seed that I had here for 5 years. It grew find. Don't worry about the seed but with no rye in the mix germination will be much slower.