Does seed go bad?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by birddseedd, Apr 28, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

maybe thats it. maybe what i saw other places was just a different type that comes up faster. ill go water it today

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry it took me awhile folks...here is the area I was talking about. I KNOW there are weeds, we'll take them out later. =D

Jason

1367529977220.jpg

1367530015579.jpg

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

nice job Mac. How many Growing Degree Days have you accumulated? High temps so far? You are doing something right. What kind of seed and soil prep? When sown?

4. birddseedd

mine started growing. tho not really all of the seed I put down. only some. I put a lot down

5. McFarland_Lawn_Care

This was an experiment on my own personal lawn. Just threw the seed down on bare ground last fall (late probably around October). Did nothing to it, let it winter over, and sprouted all on its own this year. I only put that sprinkler out there yesterday because no rain in the forecast for a long time. Seed is a good quality blend of TTTF and KBG 50/50. Sorry, I didn't notice exactly which day they sprouted and the degree days etc. To be honest it caught me off guard that it even sprouted at ALL !!! hahha

6. birddseedd

why would you be caught off guard?

7. McFarland_Lawn_Care

Dunno, why do you have almost 1200 posts and only joined in Jan?

8. biodale

biodale LawnSite Member

grass seed will maintain good germination over time if stored properly. Germination will go down over time, but storage condition is critical. Also letting the bag of seed sit in the sun or hot car or truck will kill the seed very quickly. Remember, even if germination is 50% you can usually get a good stand because most people over plant. It only takes a few hours in an oven (hot car or truck) to kill the seed. If it hasnt sprouted by now it wont.

9. birddseedd

have about an inch of new grass. do I have all the germination I'm gonna get?