does she still pay bill?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 27, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a customer of mine has chemlawn doing ferts, i was at one time, but told her i am not doing it anymore (cus shes a pain in my a**) anyway, she calls and asks for thatching and seeding, i give price, she says ill call u back. she calls later and says that chem will do the thatching and seeding, and dont come and cut for about 3 weeks. the bills go out in 3 days, shes getting one for those 3 missed cuts. her contract clearly states weekly cutting, to be skipped at sole discretion of me. opinions......

2. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

As long as your contract states weekly cuts you should bill her.
    You may loose her but if she is such a pain in the a$$ so what, if you can afford to loose a cust.
    She chose to use chem not you.
    Its a business call. If you dont mind the possibility of loosing a cust bill her. But I think you are perfectly justified in doing so.

3. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I agree that you don't have much to lose on this customer - but weekly cutting contracts must surely be limited to the growing season, unless it is really an annual maintenance contract; after dethatching and seeding is not part of the growing season.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

my contracts state that grasscutting will be done from april 1st-oct. 31st. the last couple weeks in oct. we are really not "cutting" the lawn, but sucking up leaves and keeping the place neat(for the same price of the cutting) , nov. starts leaf cleanup, at a different price. the customers need to take into consideration that we do property maint. , at a reasonable price because we are getting all the services(trimming bushes/trees, cutting, thatching, leaf cleanup, snow, etc. ) the less we do, the more each service costs. i stopped doing her treatments cus one day she called me screaming that her yard was "infested" with weeds. i was just there 2 days prior and saw no weeds, so i run down there, and there is TWO dandilions, one on each side of the property near the edge of her neighbors. real pain. anyhow, thanx for the input

5. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

This is only a suggestion, not a criticism - if you are doing shrub trimming, cleanup, etc and see it as a package deal to reduce the price of each service, it would be best if you could sell the entire package as an annual maintenance agreement; then missed cuts would not be an issue (unless there was no reason for the missed cut).

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I agree, but don't think that she will pay.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

i charge per service, not a flat monthly rate. i tried to do the monthly thing with a few customers, for me it didnt work out. if i missed a cut either for my fault or weather, they want the price of one cut subtracted from the monthly bill. it just turned into a headache. now, i have a rain "surcharge" if i must miss cus of rain, the next cut is charged extra. not one customer has complained about this yet. anyway, id rather just be paid that month for what i did that month. and fert programs are paid in full in advance by march 1st. i dont mind giving a little break when we do full servicebecause sometimes we can just stop at the house, cut, trim, and fert at the same time, it saves me time and money. later...