Does side discharging/mulching increase weeds in a lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 29, 2002.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

A customer of mine wants me to bag exclusively because she claims that when you side discharge or mulch, you spread weed seeds through out the lawn and cause the growth of weeds to spread. Is she right? I have noticed that in the year or so I have been mulching/side-discharging her lawn, the amount of weeds seems to have increased a lot.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

If there are weeds growing in the lawn they will propogate weather or not you bag and remove. Is the lawn treated and sprayed? I almost exclusively side discharge except for 1 customer that has a pool and my lawns are in excellent condition with less than 1% weed growth on the fertilized and sprayed lawns. Remember that there are annual, biannual and perennial weeds along with grasses that are not affected by most common herbicides.
    You have to identify the problems and get rid of them first. This is done over about a 1 to 1.5 year period. You cant get instant results but you have to start sometime.

That was a long answer to the question.
    Good Luck.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I think she is right, however I also think Mow Ed is right, too. When you bag some of the seeds do get bagged, but there are so many seeds that bagging will not control them. When you mulch or discharge it throws seeds all over and busts seedheads all over. I don't think bagging vs. mulching/discharging would really make any difference. If it was me, unless she says no, I would mulch everything because it's easier and faster. If she doesn't like the weeds she should get started on a program for fert/weed control. Like Mow Ed said, takes time to get a lawn looking pretty good. Won't be this year.

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I think as long as you have the grass at a height of around three inches when you cut this helps to control weeds by reducing sun to them, also a good fert program will keep weeds out by having good grass growth, cutting a lawn to short will only promote weed growth and invite problems for grass, I mostly mulch nowdays and have lawns that are pretty weed free, but it takes time to get them that way,