1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does SIZE matter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guardian, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We are talking about 8 inches here.

I want another eXmark. (what did you think I was talking about?)

Like Sooner, I am looking at the 60" w/ 23hp, BUT by dealer is ready to unload a 52" w/23 for a better price (he doesn't have the 60 in stock) PRO day is in 2 weeks - thats why he's offering what he has now.

How bad will I regret those 8 inches?

Tell me it'll be alright
  2. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Sorry to have to tell you this, but 8 inches is alot, im referring to exmarks brochure on their acres per hour productivity chart.

52" at 100% efficiency - 4.92 acres/hour @ 9.5 mph
    60" at 100% efficiency - 5.76 acres/hour @ 9.5 mph & 6.66 acres/hour @ 11 mph

3. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

I went and ask my wife and she said flat out Nope! I even told her we were only talken 8 inches and she just smiled!!

That was Great sorry to bother you guys but that title made me smile! I will get outta the gutter now!:eek:
  4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

The ole 'it is not the size that matters it is how you use it' doesn't apply to lawn mowing:rolleyes: size does matter just as in other cases:eek: :D ..on a serious note it picks up your production to something like 20%..at least that is what dealers have preached for years..also it will depend on the size of your properties..take a look at what you got and you will be able to judge whether or not you need the extra width for cutting... I had to turn down a 60 inch deck due to one of my customers gates was just shy of 60 inches..I went with the 54 instead..I got no regrets:eek:
  5. If your talking about john holmes the 8 inchs aint much
    But if your talking about exmarks now that different

Seriously the 8 inchs would give more productivety.
  6. LMAO!!!

Like I said in the other post, it will matter if you can't get it every where you other mower can go.

8" on small lawns no

8" on medium lawns maby.

8" on large lawns yes.

12" from 36" to 48" yes

4" from 48" to 52" not realy, but the extra fetures you get do.

4" from 44" to 48" not realy.

8" from 52" to 60" reread the first 3.

All of those also depend on the mower type/style.