does sod shrink?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lugnut#6, May 5, 2006.

1. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

does sod shrink after its laid?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Only if it is allowed to dry out.

3. lugnut#6

thank you Mrs She:)

the homeowners had to go out of town after it was laid.the neighbor is supposed to be watering it for them.
    it doesn't look like its getting enough.guess ill have to do it for them.not gonna let all that work go to waste because of the neighbor not watering it.thankfully they live close by and will be back in a couple days.

4. sheshovel

Yea well if it is shrinking get that water on it NOWsville!And plenty of it!Yer welcome..still awaiting the pic of the new baby you promised to show me!

5. lugnut#6

went over there right after my last post....gonna go back in about 45 mins and move em.then again in another hour.anything to get outta the house.

heres one
    [​IMG]

maddy.jpg

6. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I did a sod job once for a customer and over about 3 weeks i noticed the sod having almost like a white/purplish frosty haze on it. After a month the customer calls me and tells me that I gave him a diseased infested sod. I asked him if he was watering it. He goes on and tells me that he has been away for a few weeks but a family friend was coming over to water it. I told him that the person must be coming over around lunch time which he agreed and I continued telling him that watering the sod at that time ( in July) is just burning the sod. He was so upset because he was hoping that I would redo the job for free.

7. sheshovel

AAAUUUHHH what a cute baby!Thanks so much for the pic Lug....waited for it for a long time and I don't forget stuff like that.Why you want outa the house so bad?Is the baby crying alot?Trying to get outa changing diapers are you?Now you better be a good Daddy and help Mommie!

8. lugnut#6

im doing my best to be one of these "modern dads"...changing diapers a lot.
    thank god i cant breast feed.gets me out of some of the work.
    [​IMG]

me?...off topic?....never!
    [​IMG]

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Watering on a hot day does not "Burn" sod. It is the best thing for it. Go to Yankee Stadium, Augusta National Golf Course, the Rose Bowl, any very high end turf area on a hot day. Chances are they are watering. Putting water on a lawn on a hot day is good for the grass. Only time this is not true is when it is hazy, hot, and humid with the soil and turf already wet. This will promote disease. Otherwise it does the same thing for the grass it does for you:it cools things off. It doesn't "act like a prism and magnify light" or "turn to steam and cook the lawn" or any other nonsense you may have heard over the years.:hammerhead:

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ohh, and Lugnut, beautiful baby. Congratulations and good luck. I have 2 myself. When I'm not pulling out my (remaining) hair, I am happier than ever.