Does the 32" Toro Proline Mower Scalp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 21, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I was interested in acquiring a 32" Toro Proline Mower. It is the one with the single blade and floating deck. I have heard, however, that the single blade tends to scalp. Is that true?
  2. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

I just bought one, it has a floating deck. Jury is still out in my world. I haven't scalped yet, but I haven't tested it too much either.

I wish I would have bought a hydro though. Still getting used to the belt drive....
  3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Can anyone else help me out with this?
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

i used to have one 3 or so years ago. It was not much of a problem for me. If i remember correctly, the blade tip speed was horibly slow though.
  5. BigMike

BigMike LawnSite Member

I have been using a Toro Proline 32" as my primary mower for about half a year; and, it gives a great cut. Any mower can scalp. The design on this mower allows for greater contours of the mowing area by having an anti-scalping cup. This cup is located on the blade spindle and the blade rests inside of this cup. If the bottom of the cup hits terrain, the entire deck will lift. This design significantly reduces scalping. In addition, I have found that cutting at 3.5" also greatly reduces scalping. Again, scalping can occur using any mower. In fact, I've seen occassions where 21" mowers scalp! The operator should always be aware of the terrain, and adjust his mowing pattern accordingly.

My 2 Cents
    Big Mike