1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does the 34z have enough hp with its 15.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Jun 15, 2004.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

does the 34z have enough power with its 15hp? it seems like it should have at least 17.

i have been thinking, and i dont want the derris anymore, to big, so its either the 34z or a gravely 44" ZTR.

i like the size of the 34, but i like the power on the 44 (is it enough with 19) and i also like how the 44 has more attachments!
  2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Call up Roger and ask him to let you demo it on the his property. I think that a 15 horse would be fine. I know 19 on my 44" is plenty...even through the wet tall stuff. You would keep your 36" right? if for some reason grass was to wet and tall use the ol' gravely WB.

lets talk price on the 48......
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've demo'd the 34z. The 15 hp motor is plenty for this machine. Its a beast of a machine for its size. My opinion, its to much machine for its size which can make it dangerous in certain situations.
  4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend Mike, who bought a 34z this Spring, says the same thing....

I didn't like the jerky steering, that with the power can lead to a hairy situation.
  5. Trevors Lawn Care

says what??? Not enough power?? or it is enough?

6. captken

It has power aplenty, and the steering is jerky.

He is taking it back to Gambrell Equipment, where he bought it, to have it looked at.

I dittoed what 65hoss posted....

Great power, jerky steering can get someone in trouble....that would be a "certain situations":)

probably needs a steering damper change...
  7. captken

I used Mike's little z today.

It has

Plenty of power.

Mows tall grass fast.

Leaves a good finish.

It takes some getting used to. [jerky steering]

[Sticks might not be adjusted properly, or,

the steering might be under dampened.]

The Dampeners look rather small....

The steering just didn't inspire my confidence in the machine.

On cross slopes, this machine is

Very slow going and easy on those stick movements please!

It got away from me, I had to nail both sticks in attempting to counter rotate the machine to keep it from heading down to the bottom of the slop, in the end, gravity won, the front end came loose and I rode it all the way down...straight down.

This was not a hill....just a slope...

Mike wouldn't let me try it until he made sure traffic wasn't coming.

This was the same hill that put him out of control and into traffic scaring him plenty...

Damp turf, keeping both drive wheels counter rotating, produced no turf damage on high speed z turns.

Mike installed home made spring for seat, rides OK.

Mike said he would not operate it a full speed due to the ride [with no spring] just to rough...

I would buy one to use where I would use a walk, FLAT land only.

8. Trevors Lawn Care

my gravely 44z has jerky steering as well. You get used to it fast...I am to the point now, that it would feel weird driving any other machine probably because i am so used to the responsive steering on my Gravely.

9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i dont know if i should get a 34z or a 44", because if im going to be getting a Z and spending atleast 4grand on one, i should get something i will like, and the 44" is 5800, so for 1800$ more i can get 10" more and a 19hp, and be able to get more attachments. so i really dont know what would be better for me, its a tough desision....

trevor, i cleaned the mower up today (while it was raining and had nothing to do, i cleaned under the deck and put new blades on, changed oil, and changed the air filter. so ya, make me an offer ;)
  10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

just so you guys know, it's not this mike.. i thought about it but can't justify it. i have a 15hp kohler on my 36" metro and with a mulch kit, it's gotta plenty of power. you are running a smaller deck but hydro pumps on the gravley, so i say that's plenty of power for that machine.