1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does the dealer owe me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

My 17hp Kawi started cutting out, so I took it in to the dealer to fix the problem. They said they fixed it and put on the invioce that I needed a new carb. and charged me $55 to clean the carb. I took the mower and it ran 10x worst then it did when I took it in. I didnt want to wait another week, so I ordered a carb and had it over nighted to my house at a cost of about $200. I changed the carb and it didnt help, So i went in to complain, and they offered to fix it for free, plus parts. I had them over night the parts. They ordered 2 coils and a fuel pump, costing me another $100+
    So one coil cost me more then $350, Plus I missed $100 worth of mowing, plus I paid a guy to help me mow with 36" loaner, that had no sulkie. One coil cost alot!!!!
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Probably, but most "mechanics" at these dealers are just part changers, and most of the time they eventually stumble uponthe right part to change.
  3. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

You probably would have been better off if they replaced the carb, then you could say you want the old one back on and a credit for the part. Because you replalced it yourself, they will most likely not be of any help.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that you will just be digging your own grave if you come to a dealer and tell him that he owes you
  5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right on the money lawnman. Most mechanics of any kind are just that, parts changers.

No, dealer doesn't owe you anything. Now it's a matter of how can you know for a fact that you didn't have multiple problems, part of which was a bad/worn out carb.
    Mechanics will start checking/testing until they find something that doesn't perform correctly, then you & they assume 'that' is the problem.
    All the different parts, how they operate (or not) are like the domino theory, replacing a bad part doesn't mean that's the end of the line, but you must fix/replace to continue to the next part to check it.