1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does the stihl BR420D even exist?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rechargeable, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rechargeable

rechargeable LawnSite Member

Located in central MA here and every place I've called says the 420 is an older model that they don't make anymore, blah blah blah, and yet there it is on the Stihl website and in the catalog. It's actually the 420D, which apparently means that it has a catalytic converter.

Is it no longer possible to buy a BR420D new, anywhere, despite it apparently still existing on the Stihl website?

(Also every dealer out there tries to talk me into the BR600 and supposedly they don't have problems with them like lots of people complain about, but I'm not inclined to trust dealers on that... I'm not doing huge jobs here and I want a solid straight up 2-stroke blower... you'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask but I feel like I'm on some crusade for the holy grail here.)
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

My Dealer still had the BR420D Magnums. However, I have a BR600 and it is great. No problems and I would recommend that you try one out. It has a huge amount of power and you will not be disaapointed.
  3. freddyc

freddyc LawnSite Senior Member

I have to assume you tried Boston Lawnmower on rte 9 in Shrewsbury?? If anyone in the area has it, they would.
  4. rechargeable

rechargeable LawnSite Member

I called them and they said the same thing as everyone else... and then I called Stihl themselves and they said that the 420D had been replaced by the 380D... looking at the specs they seem to be exactly the same with the exception of the tube, which is smaller on the 380, making for a faster air speed (181 mph vs 172) but less air volume (465 cfm vs 518, with the tubes on)...

and the BR380D is like $370 or so. I'm real tempted to just get the BR600, which is going for like $470 here, especially since it seems to weigh the same as the 380, but all that valve nonsense scares me and I'd really like this blower to last me as close to forever as possible...
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the BR420 and take care of it and it just might last you a lifetime.