Does the stupid lowballing never end

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Check out this genius.

I couldn't get this to scan in, so pardon the fact that I am typing this in.

"Name of Lawn Company"

Give the gift of year round

yard care for half price

50% off

1 year of lawn care

(1 year prepaid by December 31st)

Example: Average 1/4 acre lot - $25 per week

x 52 weeks = $1300.00 50% = $650.00

Prices may vary according to lot size,
    other discounts offered, etc.

Lawn Care Package includes Mowing,

Edging, Weed Eating and Blowing

LightTree work, hedge clean-up and Yard

clean ups Available at an additional charge

"Phone number"

Residential and commercial

Additional discounts for Senior, Teachers, City Employees, Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement & Fire Rescue

And remember this is a full page ad taken out in December.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you just found a subcontractor.... sit back and collect the checks for the first 3 months while he is still in business, then you'll have to do the work after he files ch. 11

3. Precision

I just wonder if he is actually planning on cutting any lawns or just collect from the rubes and disappear?

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

PRECISION: I have had it with them "guys" but to answer your question - It'll never end! Although I beleive you know that but things like that ad never seem to admaze me!

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a scam to me.

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel for you Precision. Every area has it's lunatics but Florida has more than it's share. I don't know why? Otherwise beautiful state. Oh and all those serial killers frighten me a bit.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder if thats an add by an illegal thats not paying taxes,carry insurance and have a business license cause being legit you wouldn't be in business long given those prices

8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

That probably is. Anyway, the customer might noticed something unusual about it being so cheap.

9. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I always tell people that they are welcome to try another LCO if they are not satisfied with my services. However, it is never the service but the price. I generally charge $35.00/hr depending on the lawn. $35/hr base rate whether or not it takes an hour or not. I may be retired but I am not ********...I am new in the business and thanks to these posts, I decided before even going into business what I wanted to make as per hours as a small individual LCO.

I charge extra for hedging, weeding, mulching, etc. The point is that I will not take my equipment off my trailer for less than $35/hr. I suspect that the LCO running that ad is either 1. Independently wealthy and does not need the money or 2. That they are into charity work. Either way business cannot be good and if it is rest assured not for long!

DJ-:weightlifter:

10. Precision

originally I was thinking the 50% off thing was a good scam coupled with the 52 week cut example. Because in reality you would only cut 40 times So out of the $1300 listed he is only really able to charge $1000 So it is only a 27% discount made to look like a 50% discount. But then I realize that he is offering 50% of whatever package they actually take and 27% is still likely about 15% more than the profit most people net.:dizzy:

And then he also adds further discounts for the listed profession.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Oh well, I was planning on getting out of that market anyway except for full service work. So I guess that cements it.

I would guess 3 years for prices to recover from this stroke of genius.