does the vehicle you give estimates from matter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Mar 24, 2009.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

I sometimes have to give estimates that are pretty far from where I live because I service a wide area but it all works out because I make one big loop making stops all along the way. I own a Geo metro that gits 47 mpg and I wouldn't mind using it for some of farther away estimates but I fear that potential customers may look at the car as how I conduct business overall. My trucks and trailers are professional looking but it seems smarter to use the little car for estimates that are way out of the way unless they won't hire me just because of the car I'm driving. Anyone else have dealings with an issue like this?

2. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

unless the accounts are so large they are totally worth it, why venture that far out of your way anyway? keep your route tight? if they are large commercials, i would be taking my nicest truck there.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i always bring my truck for estimates, i have a honda accord that gets amazing mpg but i nevr take it

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I most of the time bring one of my nice trucks to look at a job. However, if I know the person, or have done work for them before, then I may take a different vehicle if it's not convenient for me to take my truck. But I feel more confident driving through nice areas of town in one of my nice trucks. People will see you and remember you.

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If its nice out I take my bike. I let them know gas is to much and bike gets great gas mileage. If its colder out I take the car. My trucks average 12-15 mile per gal so if I have to go very far it ads up fast. Everyone understands so its no big deal.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only time I do it in the truck is when it's en-route anyhow, nice mpg
    makes the whole 'free' part of the estimate noticeably easier to swallow.

As for what customers might think, I've never had this problem but that could be because I flat out don't care.
    So I think being self-conscious would be detrimental here, just be yourself and it's like, yeah this is what I do, pretend if you must.

Like, matter of fact, you know...

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I wouldnt show up in a piece of junk but I think any nice looking vehicle is fine.

8. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's a prospective new client, I show up in one of my trucks. If it's an established customer, I'll fire up the Harley and ride over. I tell them it's my way of going green.

9. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

They are worth it. All the lowballers work within the city limits and price eachother right out of the game. I work along the river front properties and at the lake which is filled with tons of high end vacation homes. The distance is about 1 hour at my furthest point but these people complain the least and pay the highest. The scrubs from town won't even consider traveling out there because they think the drive is too far. Then again their trucks suck and their equipment is even more crappy so they are stuck in town fighting over postage stamp lawns.

10. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have anything other than the trucks. If it's a prospective customer, I take the 01 Super Duty, cleanest truck i've got, and looks really nice, so kinda gives the impression that I'm no fly by nighter and here to stay. I am thinking pretty hard about getting a harley or something similar this year, which will probably be my bid vehicle, especially if it's only a mowing bid or a bid that doesn't require any tools, laser, wheel, whatever. That's why I like my Super Duty, it's got every thing I need to do a bid in the toolbox.