1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does this bid for Patio sound right?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by RedWingsDet, Mar 25, 2005.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have to give to give an estimate tommorow for a 12x12 patio. I came out with the price of $4032.24. Thats with taking the existing sod and dirt out, 4" of 21aa and 2" of slagsand, and some other stuff too. Let me know if this sounds about right, thanks guys.
  2. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I charge 6.10 per square foot. With the dirt removal and easy of entry to the location, and your dump site I'd say thats a bit steep. But if you can get it good for you
  3. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

Ill break down the material cost.

21AA---------------------- 5.5 Yards --- $160
    Slag Sand----------------- 3 Yards ----- $72
    Pavers-------------------- 144sqftx$8--- $1152
    Dump Fee ------------------------------- $300
    Compacter Rental and Missolenous ------- $200

So thats $1884... But it'll cost me 1031.98

Then my labor which is ($80x24hours) and thats how I got $3804 + Tax. I figure it'd be about $2550.

Im doing this by myself and one other person.
    What do you think? Should I lower the price to like 3000+tax just so I could get it (i rather not, but I need some landscape work)?
    I know it wont take 24 hours, it'll prolly take like 15, but I rather be safe than sorry, just incase.

Thanks guys. Please help me cause Im giving this to her tommorow then monday I have to give another bid on a patio and sod job. So I would like to master this whole big money estimate stuff. I dont want to screw myself with the paver job like I did previously.

Thanks again.
  4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

"Pavers-------------------- 144sqftx$8--- $1152"

What pavers are you buying at $8 per sq ft????
    Plenty of guys will bid this @ $15 per sq. ft installed assuming there is easy access etc etc and kill you price wise.

144 sq ft patio for $3804 ...$26.40 per sq ft.....
    There better be gold in them there pavers.
  5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

they're not $8, they cost like 2.9 but im chargin 8 for em. My cost for everything with materials and labor for my helper comes out to be 1450... so I just have to figure out how much I want to make, and how much I want my co. to profit.

Maybe Ill bid it at $2450 and see what she says. Im kinda lost as waht to charge as you can tell. Thanks for helping me out.
  6. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

your first bid was way too much call local people and ask them how much they charge. i use this formula 10 hours per 100 sq ft. base materials, paver sand gravel sealants etc . rentals. add all these together and then add on 36% your profit margin should be great. I work alone if i need some body i usually pay them ten per hour and they dont work more than 6.
    now 80 dollars an hour seems a little high. but who am i to say im in indiana where everything is cheap. if your in a metro area you might get away with 80 per hour i use 30 per hour. if any body has any other suggestions please write them in.
  7. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

mark i just looked and notices that your from grosse point i use to live in plymouth now 80 per hour doesnt look so bad. your area is full of people with nothing better to do with their money. lower your first bid a little and see if he haggles

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

In NJ I am lucky to get $10 a square ft for a paver job. 12x12x@$10Sq
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Mark, I'm from the school that believes you shouldn't bid by the square foot, but...... $28/sf?!?! Unless that is a very elaborate design with lots of cuts, difficult excavation and poor accessibility that number seems excessively high.

If you have some paver experience, I would think with good access, you'd be able to knock that out in a day (maybe a long day) with another guy.
  10. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

im not doing that job anymore, she said she'll wait until next year...

I got another job estimate today, actually I have to give 5 people estimates all from calls today :cool2: and one is 20x3, im gonna tell him $1000 I think.