Does this lawn have "Brown Patch"?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JarrodsDad, Nov 24, 2004.

1. JarrodsDad

JarrodsDad LawnSite Member

There are brown (tan) spots on my lawn. They do not match the shapes in the pictures that I have seen in regards to "Brown Patch". So I am not sure if i should rule it out.

Can someone help me diagnose this problem and suggest treatment for it?

Here are some pictures:

P1010071 (2).JPG

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Do you have a dog?
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Dog urine acts like fertilizer that has been too heavily applied to an area. The middle of the spill will burn, but since urine acts like a fertilizer there is an area just around the spot that will actually green up nicely. In your pictures I don't see the tell-tale signs of dog urine.

Since the bad areas in the turf don't appear to be circular, but instead look to be irrigular, you could almost not target in on the number of diseases that typically form round areas.

Remove a slice of turf, about one foot square, and check for grubs or larvae. Here is a picture of turf damage caused by some weevils.

4. Critical Care

By the way, Brown Patch often will form rings because the center of spots can recover. Brown Patch also likes hot and humid weather, and excess nitrogen. There is a cold-wet weather form of Brown Patch, but it is more rare.

Not sure if this sounds like Winnipeg material...
  5. JarrodsDad

JarrodsDad LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies...

No dog. What to do about grubs or larv? What weather do they survive in? Will the winter kill em off?
  6. Critical Care

Winter will kill most of them off in your area, but again, I'd pull up one or two patches of turf to see whats ticking in there. Here is a link to something that might be of interest.

If this appears to be an insect condition, next year you may want to have an insecticide put down before the problem shows up. You may want to ask around in your area too, just to see if this is a common problem. Around here, it's not insects but the terrible necrotic ring spot (nrs) that goes after our bluegrass turf, however on the coast, the cranefly larvae caused problems.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed two areas in the pics where the dead spot appears to be tracked by a wheel. Without looking at a clos up of the leaf blade nor a general description of the environment, I would say it looks more like dollar spot or pythium.