Does this make me a lowballer?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

My normal min. price is $24, but I took on two accounts, side by side postage size accounts for $18 a piece. I would glady do a 30 minute yard for $36, why not do two 15 minute yards for $36???

2. You might try telling each of them that their discount price depends on your keeping their neighbor as a customer.
    They'll form a pact between them to keep you forever.

Dave

3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I've done that a time or two so far. Stop once cut twice! The added benifit of this is that you are in the area longer and people see you cutting more and longer. The chance of increasing your customers in that area go up astronomically.

Cordially,
    S.

4. Jon99

Well the one account is my 89 year aunts, considering the size of her yard and the size of her heart, I felt guilty charging her more than $18... While I was doing a spring clean up on her yard, the neighbor came out and said " Will you mow my yard for $18?"....

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

The only benefit is less drive time. You just lost half your money. Why not charge $24 for each lawn and make $48 in 30 minutes. I have a min of $25. no matter how small the lawn is. My time is money and I still have to load and unload, plus drive time. So my answer to your question is Yes you have just low balled some other company. Next time those customers want to shop around for a new company they will tell everyone "..the other guy was only $18...."

6. MoCut1

MoCut1 LawnSite Member

IF SHE IS YOUR AUNT,YOURE LUCKY TO MAKE ANYTHING AT
    ALL.MY FAMILY THINKS JUST BECAUSE I HAVE A COMMERICAL
    LAWN SERVICE THERE'S SHOULD BE FREE!!!!!!!
    FIRST RULE OF THUMB--NEVER WORK FOR FAMILY OR FRIENDS!!

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Boom! Right on ff.

You have successfully lowered the market. Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify you didn't, feel free to do so. It's short term thinking like this that makes it hard for others to make the money that they desire. What happens when you loose one? Sorry lady, I have to raise the price back up. That will go over well. You need to price each individual customer just as they are, individual stops. If anything, which I still wouldn't personally do, give your Aunt the cheaper price and tell her to keep quiet while you charge the other lady the minimum.

8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Personally... If one was my 89 yr. old aunt... I would be doing it for free.

the other should pay your minimum, if that's what the lawn is worth....... if you feel you want to discount due to senior citizen, etc.... then knock a couple bucks off, not 33% discount.

JMHO

9. My smallest account is $15. It’s next to another account and they let me mow that $15 lawn at the same time. It is a patch of grass that is 15’ x 20’. Probably takes less than ten minutes to mow, edge, and blow, although I’ve never done it by itself. I’d do more of these, but not at that price if they were “stand alone” lots.

10. Jon99

Well I am sure most will disagree, but this is my first year doing this, when I talked to her I had 12 accounts, she makes 13... If given the choice of making $72 a month or sitting in front of the TV an extra 60 minutes each week, I will take the $72....

Should I have asked her for $24??? Yes...

Could I have got the job at $24??? Doubtful...

Can I complain about making $18 for 15 minutes??? No..

Would I have done this if my schedule was filled??? Doubtful...