Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tiedeman, Nov 3, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, I won't say the name of the organization of anything:

But I recently joined an organization on August 28th, 2005. Paid the full $210 member fees and thought I was good.

Well, today in the mail I received an invoice of $220 for the 2006 membership fees, which are due on November 30th. I was like, "What the heck, I just joined this and paid dues in August and now they want to turn around and charge me again."

So I call them up, tell them that I just paid the fees at the end of August, and don't understand why I wasn't told a few things:
    1. The membership is only good from Jan-Dec, not the month that you pay it until next years month
    2. They should have told me to wait a few months to when the new 2006 membership would begin, so I wouldn't be charged twice.

So they finally called me back and told me that they were going to give me a $140 credit on the recent invoice for the 2006 fees, and all I would have to pay is $80 for the 2006 year since I just paid $210 in August.

I thought it was a good deal until I started to figure it out on paper, bear with me:
    1. The $210 I paid this year is basically good from the end of August 2005, to the end of August 2006.

2. Then the $80 that I will be paying is good for Sept, Oct, and Nov, and Dec of 2006.

3. But if you were to break down the new membership if I was to pay the $220 this year, that is $18.33 per month, which would be $73.33 that I should pay. Sure I know that it's only $6.67 cents, but still kind of a rip I feel.

But then my wife brought up a good point. What if you don't renew for 2006, are they going to reimburse you for the months of Jan-August. in 2005 since you paid $210, and they are basically saying that is it only good for 4 months?

Just something that I wanted to complain about and get off my chest

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet not! payup

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Troy, how many times do I have to tell ya to stay away from those XXX video sites...jeez:p :D J/K my friend

4. tiedeman

from earth

shhhh...please don't tell:cry:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So, let me ask you this...or batter yet, just ask yourSELF this....
    What did you get from this organization for the time you "belonged". Was it worth the money that yuo paid in? In other words, aare you going to get a return? Will it be worth the extra 80 bucks for the end of next season? How about this? Ask them if you can hold off on paying the 80 bucks until August, when it is actually due. If they say no,...then just tell them fine. You'll keep the 80 bucks.

6. tiedeman

from earth

I do admit that I have received customers from it, but just how it has been run lately I haven't been to happy.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi Troy,

If you can keep track of where your customers initially hear about you, at the end of the year you can review your data to see if the fee is justified. You won't know for sure until you review your data :)

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>