1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

doe's this make sense

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by METRO 36, Dec 7, 2005.

1. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lco in my town they have most of the commercial job's taco bell,
    mc donald's,bank's etc.when the do a small job taco bell etc. they bag everything,they use commerial grade snapper 21 inch mower's(snapper is all
    they run) any way every account they do over 6000 sq feet they mow with walk behind's side discharge and when there done they rake the grass clipping's onto a tarp then load into there dump box on there truck's, one account they have is at least 5 acre's but most of the bigger account's
    average 3 acre's. First of all im not trying to knock this lco at all he has a
    very succesful business as far as i can tell. am i missing something or would
    it be more productive to use a bagger,catcher,accelerator,etc and and not
    have to rack at all.When i see 5 guy's mowing 5 guy's rakeing and 2 guy's trimming,edging,etc, I cant help but think it would be more productive to have 2 guy's edging and trimming,9 guy's mowing and 1 guy in the back of the truck just dumping bag's and handing them back down so it faster for the guy's to dump there bag's,this guy could clean air filter's,gas up mower's,trimmer's,clean truck, switch out with other guy's mowing,trimming
    etc. It just seem's more productive to or they could install mulch kit's,and
    not have to rake unless needed.Like i said im not knocking there system this lco has been around and has most of the commercial job's in the area,im just trying to understand why they do it this way.
  2. METRO 36

is everyone stumped or is it just me
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I guess everybody has a diferent way of doing it...To me it souds like it's a waste of time, if I got the job i would keep the price the same and side discharge with my lazer they'll never know the difference on a 3 acre property. That would eliminate atleast 2 employees
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe that's what is wrong with that picture. He is creating jobs in america. Sounds like it works for him. Sounds like a headache to me.
  5. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Have a local guy who has filled that nich. The customers have requested that nothing bigger then a 21 inch be used on thier property. He fulfills that wish and charges double what I would charge for the same account using larger mowers. He makes good money but as far as I am concerned there is no way I am going to wear myself out chasing a 21 for the same or less amount of money at the end of the day.
  6. METRO 36

This lco does use bigger walk behind's,36's,48's etc. just cant figure out why he rake's,one day i was sitting at a light down town and his boy's went draggin there tarp across the road in front of my truck. They were mowing on one side and parked on the other. I do know some of the guy's that work for him and he start's everyone at 6 dollar's an hr, and most only make around
    7.00 an hour ,so i wonder if he's labor is cheap enough that he can get by
    doing it this way
  7. METRO 36

could they be rakeing the clipping's because they remove less this way and dont have to haul it to the land fill
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

maybe it in the contract to remove the clipping and he's charging accordingly. maybe he's got a compost pile going int he back of the shop and he sells the compost back to people for soil ammendments....

I know the mulch company i used while I worked for TGLC they hauled away my organic debris with every truckload of mulch they brought...and when I needed compost, they sold me back my organic waste at 20 a ton...
  9. METRO 36

I know he dump's at the landfill ever morning cuz i se his guy's there.(did i mention we get to dump lawn waste and log's up to10 inche's for free, I know a lot of people pay for this service i guess we do to cuz in the spring we buy back as mulch)but your right abought that being in the contract and maybe he make's more by offering this service cuz not many people how many lco want to rake an area that big

I KNOW I DONT :blob3: :cool2:
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Really doesn't make much sense to me. I can underdstand dumping mower bag fulls onto a tarp and putting that into the truck but not mowing then raking the entire yard.