1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does this need dethatched

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by smcunningham, Mar 26, 2007.

1. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

From what you can see from the pics would you dethatch this prop.
    Some places in the yard the thatch is 3/4 thick others its like 1-1/2' thick

irrigation new insta----also crookstone res 010.jpg

irrigation new insta----also crookstone res 012.jpg

irrigation new insta----also crookstone res 014.jpg
  2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I would say yes!!! maybe lets also say some, WATER!!!
  3. smcunningham

these are the three worst spots in the yard...the whole development looks all the same............grass is just starting to push.....new growth
  4. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a dethatcher on it. Not a power rake. Those gas powered machines with the blades that tear everything up. Just a Jrco dethatcher would do the job real nice.

5. smcunningham

yeah I got a pull behind dethatcher.....never offered dethatching as a servce
    before not sure how to price it.what do you think...........I,ve used the dethatcher on my own lawn aready just toying around with it..
  6. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

How big is the property? What size is the dethatcher? What are you pulling it with? How long do you think it would take? Off site disposal of debris?
  7. smcunningham

42" wide dethatcher...........pulling it w/ either one of my ztr's.......probaly only take me 25-35 mins to pull the whole yard one direction and then criss cross the opposite way.....can leave debris on site out back in woods.......not sure how long to rake up all debris thought about getting one of those lawn sweepers for that......total job 1-1-1/2 hous guessing
  8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a grass gobbler on a w/b to suck up the raised thatch rather than raking[manuel labor a no-no]. You can also use a backpack blower to move it into the woods but raking spells sore arms, legs , and back. I have used the backpack to dethatch small areas too.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It looks to me like it was just long grass that got matted down over the winter. True thatch is between the dirt upwards like a wool blanket. You need a verticle mower with knives to eliminate true thatch and it is a very destructive process. I would have to see a couple areas of cross sections to tell you if there is a thatch problem but I am not thinking so.
    If not then the power rake or the so called "dethatcher" rakes that JRCO make will be able to fluff the lawn back up. This is a very big section of my spring revenue. It is basically raking a lawn with a machine but people love it. Be prepared for generating a whole lot of debris. Do the job when its dry because wet stuff is a pain to gather. Its dirty and dusty but it pays big change for me. Its all about asthetics. Next fall cut that lawn at about 2" for the last cut and you will help yourself.