1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

does this sound cheap? pls help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green thum, May 21, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:p here goes. my neighborhood homeowners assoc. owns a park 50 feet from my house.the guy that was cutting it gave it up recently because he said it was too much for him. he was cutting it with a 36" w/b,it took me 8.5 hrs but i think i will be able to get it done in 6 or less on a 52" ztr by myself.my question is this,does $185 sound to cheap?I will be able to rebid in sept. i was thing of bidding $235.00 what would tou guys bid?sorry im not good at guesstimating sq footage.

2. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well i like to get at least 60.00 and hour by myself. So if you think it would take you 6 hours then i would say at least 360.00, but i think that it would take more like 4.5-5 hours with a 52" ztr, maybe even less.

3. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I would bid around 250.00. However ur price and my price will probably get ripped for being too cheap.

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

its a park. How much trimming is involved with this??

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

How in the world can you possibly guess as to how long it will take you to mow something that you have absolutly no idea how big it is?

I will say that if it does take six hours, $185 isn't enough.

6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

360 is right!

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

185 would get you right at or close to 3-3.5 hours of work. Now if you are bidding low on mowing and outragous on shrubs that is one thing.
    My figuring is that the park is right at 7 acres to take 8 hours mowing with a 52. I could mow 3 acres with my 36 in 3-4 hrs pending growth.
    8.5 hrs with my 36" would get me 4-5 acres and alot of trimming.
    I cant imagine a homeowners association having that large of a park. Open field yes park No.
    Any ways a 52 will do .65 what a 36 will do give or take overlap.
    so 8.5*.65=5.5 hours savings of 3 hours. at 185 = 33.63 an hour. at my cost would make me about 15 an hour. not what I am looking for in profit.

8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree. :waving:

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

please don't do this with your fonts anymore, my eyes can't take that.
    unless you like being added to the ignore list, that would put you at the top since I have never saw need to do that to anyone yet.

10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Get a measuring wheel and come back with some specs please.