Does this sound fair?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Mar 25, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I just finished the 4th cleanup of the year, out of 12 I have to do. I had given the client estimates before I did the job. I did a spring cleanup, fert. app. (don't tell me it's illegal, I already know :rolleyes: ), and heavily limed the whole yard. The lawn is about 25,000-27,000 sq. ft. I charged $385 for the whole thing, came in $85 more than the estimate (needed more lime than anticipated), seemed like a lot. What would you have charged? Did I charge a fair price?

2. mkwl

Bump... anyone?

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

So you are saying you lost $85??? If so how can you even think you were fair? You weren't. You were MORE than fair to the cistomer and not fair enough to yourself.

4. mkwl

No, I charged $85 more than I had estimated. Estimate was for $300, I charged $385.

5. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

How much time did you have into the job and how much did you pay in materials?

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

well key word is estimate I say it's within $50 +- so yes I would say it's fair

7. mkwl

I paid $150 for materials, and I had about 7 hours into the project. Bear in mind, the town I work (and live) in is the 79th wealthiest town in the USA.

8. mkwl

Anyone else? I'm starting to wonder if I overcharged.

9. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

So you made $235 for 7 hours worth or work. Were you alone or did you have someone else help you? If you were alone thats around $33.50 an hr, which sounds good for working solo.

10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

In that case I would credit the account $30.00. Make sure you let them know you credited them. They will want to use that credit. BAM! You have a great steady customer now...