Does this sound fair?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Dec 10, 2004.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Last weekend I did a small bush removal job for a regular lawn customer. I dug up 4 small forsythias and hauled them away. 2 hours on site and 3 bags and 4 root balls on the truck. I charged him $80.00. He cried and acted as if I cheated him. We agreed on a price of $50.00 and he is supposed to mail a check. I expect that he will. I based the $80.00 on 2 hrs @ $30.00 each and $20.00 for the dump. I worked alone. Does my price seem out of line?

Thanks,

Paul

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how tall were the forsythias?

3. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Even at $80 you were giving him a deal. I would have been more around $120-$130.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

$30 per hour for you and your truck is way too low. $120

5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Your price seems about right to me. This sounds like the kind of guy that would have complained at $50.00. Some people are used to throwing a fit no matter what number comes out of your mouth. That being said, since you have already capitulated on your price once, look forward to heated negotiations everytime your do something for this guy. I'm afraid you may have set a bad precedent by letting him beat you down.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

can someone tell me, HOW BIG/WIDE WERE THE FORSYTHIAS?

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Did you quote 80 before you started and then agreed to 50?

8. newbomb

Bobby Just small forsythias maybe 2 ft. They had been cut back many times. Not a tough job just a little sovel work.

9. newbomb

No quote was given he told me he wanted it done and to do it when I could. I feel like such a jerk. I will never do anything again with out a quote first.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

ok, i think i would have had them out of the ground and in the back of the truck in 40 minutes. chainsaw and pick . i can't imagine 2 hrs. but, reguardless, you are the contractor, he ALLOWED YOU to do the job without a quote. to me, that means he MUST pay whatever you bill him. don't bend, ever.