1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does this sound right or is someone up to no good?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnwizards, Mar 29, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have a lawn customer who has a separate fert company. they left her a note yesterday saying that the first cut should be at 1 1/2 inches. the company is chemlawn and i've been reading on here that they also cut lawns.. the grass is fescue and we always keep it cut at 3 1/2 inches... is this accurate of them by saying it needs to be cut at 1 1/2 inches or are they trying to steal my account??? :nono: opinions please... thanks..

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

please delete this thread (if possible). i started it in the wrong forum... thanks.
  3. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I've read that the first cut should be very short and bagged, like a clean up of sorts.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I have cut grass in ky all my life and i have never heard or been ask to do 1 and a 1/2 inch cut, sounds like a homeowner telling you what to do everbody thinks they know it all in lawncare,hell if she wants it cut, cut it and charge.
  5. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Fescue species normally don't tolerate close mowing. It should be cut at least 2 and preferable more inches.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

They state "first cut" are they referring to verticutting?
  7. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

chemlawn assumes we all cut out lawns at a reccomended height like blue grass 2-2 1/2 inches . we cut at 4" in summer 3 1/4 maye fopr 1st cut on blues, maybe 2 3/4 on rye or fescue but those also we maintain at 3 3/4 to 4 in summer. It is possible to cut very short but you neeed to cut 3 times per week to do it properly. you should only cut 33% of the grass at a time so if yo uso the math it is basically impossible to cut at even 2- 2 1/2 " on a 7 day mowing cycle
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say 3 1/2 inches sounds right. Thats what we do!!!!:)