1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

does this sound right or is someone up to no good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Mar 29, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have a lawn customer who has a separate fert company. they left her a note yesterday saying that the first cut should be at 1 1/2 inches. the company is chemlawn and i've been reading on here that they also cut lawns.. the grass is fescue and we always keep it cut at 3 1/2 inches... is this accurate of them by saying it needs to be cut at 1 1/2 inches or are they trying to steal my account??? :nono: opinions please... thanks..

i accidentally started this thread in the wrong section(just starting in business) i believe its in the right one now... sorry.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it depends, what kind of truck do you drive?
  3. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

If they are willing to bag and clean up for you at no cost, let them do it for you.

Otherwise, you should determine the length of cut.

P.S. I wouldn't cut Astroturf at 1.5 inches unless someone else was going to be responsible for my repairs. Especially a 1st cut.
  4. lawnwizards

95 ford ranger... why?
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I would have a talk with your customer and explain that this is too short to cut fescue under any circumstances. Then explain to them how chemlawn is one of the worst things they can do to their lawn. Then sell them a fert program of your own....:drinkup:
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Nope not correct. Have her call a few differnt branches that don't offer mowing and see what they tell her. They even put it on there fert invoices that grass should not be cut lower than 3-1/2 "
  7. lawnwizards

i thought it sounded fishy... why would you treat a lawn just to cut it all the way down? as far as doing the fert myself, i missed getting my applicator's license by 1 lousy point... in my opinion, the class before the test is a waste.. they didn't cover anything on the test..
  8. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

chem-lawn told my client the same thing, they said that i cut it to tall, the home owner asked me about it, and i told them what would happen if i did cut it that low, they said that they figured that what i told them would happen. i was mowing one day ,and got stopped by chem-lawn and they told me that i needed to cut it short, i then asked why, and the guy told me that the fert will get the the roots better??? then he told me that bagging a lawn was a bad thing to do, they used to swear by it but now they tell people not to bag because it takes away from the soil, i believe that myself, but when the lawn grows so fast, you can see it grow, you need to bag up the clippings...i just think that most of the people that work fo0r chem-lawn dont really know what they are doing in the first place.... not that i know it all, but have you seen some of these guys???
  9. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I have never understood Chemlawn. We had a customer that was told our mowers were leaking oil and causing the brown patches in his yard. Yes thats right fungus. We took our mowers there when the chemlawn guy was around and showed the customer that all our equipment was brand new and had no oil leaks. We offered a fungicide for free (to get rid of chemlawn) and he took us up on it. Needless to say the fungus and Chemlawn went away. I have just heard so many bad stories about them I wonder about their business practices.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I have never had Chemlawn interfere with my cutting grass in any way. If anything, they help me out as they always recommend a minimum cut height of 3", which just so happens to be my cut height.

That Chemlawn now cuts grass, that's news to me thou I suppose some franchised company might do it, it could also be in violation of franchise rules.

What I have learned over the years is some (not many) folks are fast to throw out the name Chemlawn for leverage, thou I've honestly never ran into one that used said leverage in this fashion... Most cases I find is where the customer is flaunting the money to get a better price (by mentioning Chemlawn, sometimes a few other big names along with it).

It could be, however, that in your area the franchise owner of the Chemlawn branch is an unscrupulous business owner. A quick letter to the corporation might go a long ways but at the same rate, it might just be some employee talking trash or it could be some he-said / she-said bowlshed as well.

As for me, I would let it go at least until such time I've heard the same story several times from different people... That's when I'd speak up and say something about it having gone far enough. We had some thing in this town made the rounds several years ago, and it took a while but eventually it went away as fast as it came.