Does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I'm trying to get my first large commercial bid. I have been contemplating my my price. My fert guy was just out there and gave me his estimate for the fert program. It is $175 per application. What would this tell you guys? If you see that number, how would your mowing price compare? I can tell you that I'm a lot higher than $175 of course. It is an assisted living complex with only one building, but a good amount of turf. Just shy of 2 acres. Lots of trees, sidewalks, and 3 small islands in the parking lot. I think I'm thinking $230-250 for mow, trim, blow. Monthly edging will run $45. Am I close? This would turn out to be around (lets say $250 per mow) $1045 per month. How would your prices compare?

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

How much time do you anticipate on spending there each week? Break down your $230-$250 range that way and see where you stand then. The edging is hard to imagine...but again how long will that take you?

3. Expert Lawns

I figure 3 1/2 - 4 hours total. (@ $60/hr) This is how I got my price.

4. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Fert price usually comes in at about 150% of the mowing price. In this case, that would put a 110.00 price on the mowing. What equipment are you using to mow with. You can't always base your work on $60 an hour if your not using efficient equipment for the job. What I am getting at, is that every machine is different. If a Super Z will cut 8-9 acres an hour, and a w/b will cut 3 acres per hour.. well should I charge a customer more by using the less productive machine?? I have a 2.5 acre property that sounds about like this one. $100 per cut. Takes about 35 minutes with a Super Z.

5. Expert Lawns

48'' lazer hp. solo

Still, if it takes me 3 hours, that is $180

6. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

To me it seems a little to long on time. Most of my residential lawns are that size or larger. I can do a mow blow and go in about 1.5 on them. I do use larger equipment so that makes the cut faster. I guess that a lot depends on the detail of the trim and edging work that you intend to do. I will not comment on the price as I do live near you and prices vary. If that is your price per hour to make a profit and the time required go for it. No one wants to go and cut at a low paying property. That makes you hate it.

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Still seems a bit long time wise. A standard 36" w/b will cut almost 2 acres an hour. Either you plan to spend way too much time trimming ect., or this property is much bigger than 2 acres. I have went over the numbers several times and I can see anything over 2 hours solo if what you are saying is true. Everyone wants to make a decent profit on jobs, but in this area it is very easy to price yourself out of work as well.

8. matitude

matitude LawnSite Member

I dont think you will get anymore than 120.00 including the edging. And that may be alittle high. Most properties that size in my area will go between 100 and 115 per cut edge e.o.w.

9. Expert Lawns

Swim, you cut grass all the way up here? Michigan is a long ways from Tennessee.

Guys, I think you may be right. This account HAS to be over 2 acres. After reading your posts, it just doesn't add up for me. I'm going to go take another look at it. Even if I had 2 mowers on this lawn, it would still take 2 hours I think. Something isn't right. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll have another look and let ya know the verdict.

10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Why not measure the site, then theres no guessing on how many acres.

80,000 sqft of turf for a typical lawn care program in my area, ( not sure where north of hockey town is) would be $550.00 per treatment. That would be 5 apps with grub,lime and all the other good stuff.

Back when we mowed we had several large commerical sites, we used sq ft of turf and estimated time due to other factors like mulch beds trimming and such and a 80k lawn in a condo like setting usually has extinsive mulch beds, trees and other things to trimm around.

I dont think you can get a good estimate on price just asking a bunch of guys around the country. However my company would not mow that site for less than $300.00 per cut. but prices in central mass are alot different than other areas of the country.