Does truck/trailer advertising even payoff?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Apr 29, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Both of my trucks have decals on the glass and if I'm at a customers and a neighbor is interested they just walk up to me and ask. I don't think anyone has ever called me because of it being on the trucks. I'm getting an enclosed trailer on Thursday and was wondering if it would be better just to leave it plain. My work trucks are also my personal trucks and sometimes it would better not to have the (here is how to identify me)right on the side. What is your thaughts?

2. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Why not? What you are identified by is who you are ... who you are is what you do.

I got a call today from a woman who saw us "going down the road" .... and i just have magnets for now.

Definately worth it.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Name recognition... it's a good thing.

4. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to grow your business. Put your decals and information on the trailer. Believe me people will began to know who you are. I understand the personal vehicle thing.

But remember what is paying the bills. Make enough you can buy other toys (like a mustang) without the company's name. I drove my company truck with decals everywhere. Church, movies, daycare for two years.

5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

a business with no sign is sign of no business. plus when the neighbor's see a truck all lettered up. it makes them fell safer knowing you are a real company and not someone robbing a house

6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i used to think the same way as you all but i'm leaning towards not lettering your truck. it seems if customers see your work from earshot, they will just flag you down. i get more people flagging me down from down the street wanting estimates 10 fold more than anyone calling my number when i had signs on my truck. it might be something worthwhile to a newbie but i think once you are established, you can let your work be your signs.

7. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with some about the lettering on your truck. Looks professional and they know who you are. I see alot of guys around here driving around with no name and I call them the "no name lawn care" LOL .. just unreal how many are driving around with a trailer hooked up to their truck and or van, yes van, cutting lawns...

8. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

WOW!!! I love the way you put that! Say's it all!!

9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Why not to have a vehicle/trailer lettered?

1. Theft (thieves will know that you have valuable landscape equip. inside of that trailer).

2. Accidents (I've heard countless stories of people who slam on their brakes, etc. when they know that they have a "company" vehicle behind them)

I run several trucks and trailers, and don't have any of them lettered with anything. Believe it or not, we have all of the work that we can handle.

If you have the insurance to cover it, go ahead, get it lettered. I personally am just more comfortable without the added anxiety vehicle advertising brings along with it.

10. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I hired a tree service and a roofer last year because I saw them working and wrote down the number from the side of their truck. Both made a couple grand off me.

That said, I don't have signs because I'm paranoid and like being anonymous.