Does urea solution go bad?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RigglePLC, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I treated a small pool yard about Aug 28. Customer complained of burn on grass, but I am not sure--vague brown areas. Weather was hot. Urea solution had been in tank about a week. Smelled strongly of amonia.

Will the amonia solution hurt the grass? What percent urea could be lost? What percent of weed killer might be lost?

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

when the ammonia smell kicks up enough to really notice it look out! so yes it can burn turf:(

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I can't give you firm numbers on percentages lost, but I do know that sunlight breaks down herbicides, so if you have a "clear" tank (poly) parked outside, degredation will occur faster than a fiberglass tank where light can't reach the solution, or if it's parked inside. Urea will go through the nitrogen cycle, whether it's on the ground or in a tank. I would think you'd mainly see "tip burn," but if it was strong enough, I guess you'd see the whole plant affected. At any rate, I would think the recent rain and cooler temps. are in your favor.

4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have never let solution sit that long, strange things will happen the smell should have raised some concern. the waters ph would be the first to change

5. MStine315

I thought about this more today. Since it was a small area, was it the first thing you sprayed after this sat in the tank? The product in the hose is always the first to go. Probably because it heats up more? Anyway, if I do have a solution sit like that, and I often times do, I run the hose back into the top of the tank for 10-15 minutes. Since this was a backyard, I was just wondering.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Marc,
    Yes, the first 60 seconds is the solution that was in the hose. I could have recirculated it back into the tank or added half a tank of fresh sholution. I got another class at the school of hard knocks.

I gave the customer a bag of Scotts seed--he seemed happy.

7. MStine315

What do I win? LOL

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a fiberglass tank and i've had my mix sit for a month and didn't have problems. (46-0-0, 0-0-32, trimec, pendulum 3.3ec, roots 4-0-4 6% Fe, NBN, and water) smells like s**t anyway when you spry it, between the pendulum and trimec mix.