Does Workers Comp cover

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by THill3, Aug 18, 2005.

1. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

Not sure and havn't even looked at my policy since I got it but does workers comp cover the owner of the company?
  2. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on how you set it up. It costs more to cover yourself.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Normally it doesn't.
  4. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

As the business owner/employer, you'll pay Workers Comp premiums based on a rated percentage of your payroll. Your rating will change once a year, depending on a combination of: (1) the loss experience of your business (“experience rating”) — the higher your losses, the higher your premiums; and (2) your loss experience compared with that of other employers in the same business (“experience modification”). This rating system gives businesses a powerful financial incentive to curb work-based risk exposures through comprehensive safety regulations and programs.
  5. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Oh Yea and by the way workers Comp does not cover you as an employer, you should look into special “Occupational Disability Income” insurance that will reimburse you for illnesses and injuries incurred around the clock. but you should check it out in your area.
  6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you're incorporated and you draw a salary as an employee I believe it does.
  7. burroughslawnservice

burroughslawnservice LawnSite Member

I was unable to send you a private message PROLAWNS. Would you be interested in a residential account located at HWY 13 and Pleasure House Road? My wifes coworker needs a reliable person. Call me 757-277-2074. :blob3:
  8. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

Owners, partners, and officers are automatically exempt from work comp. you must apply for work comp.
  9. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it does. However, you may elect out. In my case, it saves me 10% of my salary each year.
  10. farmerphilco

farmerphilco LawnSite Member

you are automatically exempt, you must elect to be covered by work comp