Does your business name effect how much business you get

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cutterdown, Aug 27, 2006.

1. cutterdown

cutterdown LawnSite Member

I Was just wondering, does the name of your business really affect how much business you will get, like just plan so and so lawn care or some jazzy eye catching name. any thoughts, anyone ever change there name and get more business???:weightlifter:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Makes no difference in my opinion, branding and service are what count.

3. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

For me a huge difference, I ran a name to where my company is in the front of the phone book and it is a real catchie name. I get alot of work off my name and location in the book and all my friends with similar sized adds do not do near as well!

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Dave, with the exception: if you select something down right deragatory, inflammatory, and or insulting, I'm almost 100% certain it will have an effect on the volume of business you do :)

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

If you opened phone book and saw 2 of the same adds just differnt names:

BILLY BOBS LAWN CARE 365-985-5555
    ADVANTAGE LANDSCAPE MAINTENANCE 658-968-5555

WHO LOOKS LIKE THE BETTER COMPANY,YEH I THINK IT MATTERS JMO.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Yes, the obvious negatives would apply here, but good to point that out, I should have done so.........

7. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Neither one looks like the better company if you know what advertising is all about, and MOST folks do.

By the way, they're not the same at all, you are trying to dilute the debate with obvious stereotyping, which goes no where.

8. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

With a record number of persons who drive > Beaters towing almost ready to collapse trailers full of Cr-a-p-sman equipment < You better believe that a name means alot to people who use your service....If it doesnt my friend then you need to find you some new customers....those who settle for Mex-i-ca-no INC. in my area have had enough of the BS from these looser ... wanna B ..... lawn & landscape operators.

We challenge ALL lawn & landscape operators to "Clean up" our image & lets get back to business.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

tell me, what is advertising all about?
    is it about finding something that will STICK in a potential customers mind and make them want to call you? what is your definition of what advertising is all about?

Yes I do think a good,well thought out company name will matter rather than something like Joe's Lawn Care.
    jmo

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

NOPE......in the end it has no bearing, esp in the commercial world.

Take Brickman for example.....it is the owners last name.....yet they are still the #2 largest company in the US.