Does your county spray it's roadsides?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Neal Wolbert, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

I'm from Thurston County in Wash. State where the roadside veg. is "managed" mechanically. Mowing 2-3 times and grubbing 2' of sod off the shoulders once every year. Just curious how your counties do it and what problems you notice with either method, spraying or mechanical, or combination (real I.V.M.). I'd appreciate your feedback, especially if your county has tried mechanical and gone back to spray. Thanks, Neal

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

We get mowed here in AZ

3. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

kimg county sprays....

4. Neal Wolbert

Garden Panzer, What is your read on the publics' view of spraying roadside in your area? I heard Seattle Parks are pesticide free now, is that true, or am I mistaken? Neal

5. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

Both-

A few years ago they were using Goal + very light rate of glyphosate. Runoff into fields caused some crop damage and they quit. Now they are back to light rates of glyphosate.

6. Neal Wolbert

I would think your farming community would be more open to spraying than a residential one. Our county is paying thousands of dollars per mile for mechanical methods (badly done, I might add), compared to about $80 a mile in Pierce County just north of us that sprays. Mostly due to a fear driven mindset regarding herbicides resident in our county commissioners. Am trying to gather info. from counties where mechanical methods just haven't worked out. Thanks for the report. Neal

7. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

Seattle Parks ARE pesticide free, well sorta of....only Roundup/Surflan products and NOTHING near water. Turf in parks near water get ONLY organic treatment and NO spray! It's a good plan, the turf seems to do good with just cultural and no broad leaf treatments. Fire Dept. WON'T approve weed torches..... ALLOT of hand work.
    It's for a better future, though. Do you really want to sit on treated turf anyway? OR track NOROSAC in your home via shoes?
    The norm is our area leads the nation in AG IPM, metals in fert- esters in eastern wa, etc. The SALMON is important and this is a small price to pay...
    :)

8. Neal Wolbert

Panzer, Do you know of any documented reports of personal injury from past roadside spraying? How about roadside mowing or accidents from traffic related to mowing or other mechanical veg. management? Any reports of wildllife habitat destruction from mowing? What do you think of the latest results from the water shed pesticide studies showing very little pesticides in the tested bodies of water this year? Neal

9. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

Very little residue in water sheds? On the east side Roundup and Norosac, plus 2,4,d products are in the silt of stream beds....
    I'd rather see a ditch mower go by than a spray rig....
    I did hear of a well in Arlington turning up spray residue, the well was near the street- so that may be one...
    One thing I can say for CERTAIN- I'd never eat any blackberries on the side of the freeway, DOT....stands for Dep. Of Toxics? :rolleyes:
    I've been all about the salmon issue since '97, things are going to change around here in the next decade, as I said....again the NW will lead the rest of the nation in IPM...
    :waving:

10. Neal Wolbert

Panzer, I respect your passion on the subject. Do you have any facts relating to the questions in the earlier post; "Do you know of any documented reports of personal injury from past roadside spraying? How about roadside mowing or accidents from traffic related to mowing or other mechanical veg. management? Any reports of wildllife habitat destruction from mowing?" Have you read
    "The Great Salmon Hoax" by Buchall? Just trying to get more facts. Thanks, Neal