Does your dealer shaft you???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerman90, Nov 26, 2002.

1. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Took my Husky articulated head hedge trimmer into the shop last week to have the shaft replaced. It had broken due to a defect. The shaft is warranted for life so I dropped it off and went merrilly on my way. When I went to pick it up today I was presented with a bill for $9.00. Gee, I thought it was under warranty! It seems that there was a crack in the plastic cover that sits atop the air filter that they replaced ($2.99) and the rest of the bill was for lubing the throttle cable and adjusting the carb. If I would have not specifically requested at the time of drop-off for them to NOT sharpen the cutters I imagine I'd of been charged for that too. I didn't say a thing as I pulled a $10 from my wallet. But I made a mental note to tape a notice onto the next piece of equipment I take in for repairs that will say, "DO NOT LUBE CABLES - DO NOT CHANGE SPARK PLUGS-DO NOT SHARPEN BLADES-DO NOT ADJUST CARB-DO NOT PRESSURE CLEAN..........ETC. JUST DO THE DAMN WARRANTY WORK AND CHARGE THE MANUFACTURER, AND NOT ME"

I compare what happened to me with my hedge trimmer to what would happen if you took your 1 year old car in to have the air conditioner fixed under warranty, and they gave it a tune-up and charged $100 for it.

Now that I've vented I feel better. Do these things happen to just me? Or do all dealers think "here comes another sucker"?
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I did have one small engine repair guy that did that to me. Gave me a tune up, adjusted cables, sharpened the mower blade. I have not gone back to him, and I also tell people to watch this guy. I don't think it is right for a dealer to do that. If something needs attention other than what yoiu brought it in for, then that dealer needs to address the issue first for permission. If you were supposed to ONLY mow a persons yard, but you also trimmed shrubs, ferted, etc., would that be right? more than likely you would not get paid. BTW, I was the word "you" as second person,just anyone in general, not you or anyone else in particular.

Oh, BTW, when I take my equipment in, my dealer(s) writes up a work order prior to repair or replacement.
  3. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

$9.00? and your equipment works better than it did when you dropped it off? KWITYOURBITCHEN! I expect my dealer to fix anything he finds wrong with my stuff while it's there. It saves in downtime later.
  4. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

I too would expect my dealer to fix anything thats wrong with it as long as he 1st calls me and explains what is wrong with a machine b-4 he does anything that not warranted , Cause most things I can repair my self if I have the time,But I still thank him for bringing it to my attention and he still gets my business when it comes to purchasing equip.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

$9 for a $300 hedge trimmer is the same as $300 on a $10000 machine. Bottom line the thing was under warrantee they did work that wasn't asked for.
    If someone hired you to fertilize his lawn and you fertilized the lawn then went ahead and also fertilized his daughter without him asking you to do it do you think he would complain or pay you for it? :p
  6. mowerman90

I'm in business to make a decent living. Part of the reason I do, is because I'm able to do most all work on my equipment myself.
    I mean, what if I take my mower in and he sharpens blades without being asked. I guess the blade sharpener and mag-na-matic I have at home will get rusty from not being used. And no, my equipment doesn't work better now than when I dropped it off, it works the same. These were unnessesary repairs that were neither asked for or approved. It just pisses me off that all the dealers we have here in this area feel that if you bring in a piece of equipment for whatever reason, it gives them free rein to do as they please with it and expect us to pay whatever. I'm getting sick of it and I'm not gonna put up with unauthorized repairs any more. Maybe I won't get taken care of as quickly from now on, who knows. If that's the price I have to pay , then so be it. If I get too mad, I'll start buying stuff (mowers) on the internet and say to hell with all of them.
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

If you were to "also fertilized his daughter without him asking you to do it " you could find yourself in some serious legal trouble!:)
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Ed.. Why didn't you question it?
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

"Does your dealer shaft you?"

Never more than once.
  10. mowerman90

I didn't question it because I pretty much expected it. This type of stuff happens to all the LCO's around here every time we take something in for repair. Make a stink about it and then have to worry about them not taking care of your next problem, or being put on the back burner for a week or so. There's only 3 or 4 dealers around here to service over 1500 (in this county) licensed LCO's, so going somewhere else is not an option.

Yes, it's not a typo, to all those that are going to question the 1500 statement. This is Florida and the competition is brutal. That's why the price for a 80 x 125' lot is only $15 (or less sometimes).