1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Does Your Mower Dealer Give You 30 Days To Decide If You Like The Machine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 85mm/1.4, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 85mm/1.4

85mm/1.4 LawnSite Member

I was at Tractor Supply today looking at their clearance merchandise. They had two Bad Boy mowers(a 60 and a 48), and one Cub Cadet 48 Z with the steering wheel that were customer returns. I did not check the hours on the machines, but they definitely looked used. They have a 30 day return policy on purchases if you're not satisfied.

These mowers could be purchased at $500 off of the regular sale price. Just judging from appearance, they should have taken a $1,000 off the price. It seems no effort was made to clean the machines up.

I could see where someone would be tempted to take advantage of this generous return policy.

2. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

not on my walker and on my exmark Navigator

3. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Hell use it for 29 days and take it back, then go back a day later get another 29 days, sounds like a win win situation to me.

4. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Ariens home owner Z that I bought many years ago from Home Depot. It had been taken home and used and brought back. I think I saved $500 or so on it back then. I've bought some other tools that were returned over the years also.

They've started taking a lot of information when you return stuff like that so I'm betting that repeat performances would be tough.

5. my dealer does not nor would I expect them to.

6. Golfpro21

Golfpro21 LawnSite Senior Member

not here....you buy it and leave with it...use it...it's yours....great dealer we have, but that is the way it is

7. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

I have returned equipment before. But Im not going to give every john doe off the streets a 30 day return. People will take advantage of that. Also say some commercial guy took that thing and ran it for 5 hours a day. and put 150 hours on it. The machine can possibly be worn out. I mean it is a Bad Boy were talking here. They dont last much past 200 hours anyways :laugh:

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Deere had their "work it for a week" deal going on this year. If you didn't like the mower for any reason within the first week, you could take it back to the dealer.

But I don't think any real commercial equipment dealer has a 30 day return policy. I know my dealer doesn't that policy. This is exactly why dealers have demo mowers, so you can "try before you buy".

9. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

30 day return.... say Mon-Fri if it was bought on a Monday, that gives 23 working days. 10 hours run time a day... 230 hours. Go look on Craigslist, you will find many mowers that someone wanted to return after 30 days because most I see have 200-300 hours on them... :) so no, I wouldn't expect a commercial dealer to do a take back like that... sort of like buying a car, driving it for 1000miles (aver 12K a year) and expecting a dealership to take it back... not gonna happen.

10. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

Have you no ethics?