Does Your Mower Leave Nice Looking Tracks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BISHOP, Dec 2, 2001.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I BOUGHT A NEW 48'' SCAG THIS YEAR - ITS A BELT DRIVE WITH A 14 KAW- PAID $2,750 - YOUR BASIC MACHINE.

I'VE NOTICED THAT IT BARELY LEAVES ANY NICE CUTTING OR TIRE TRACKS. I'VE SEEN SO MANY OTHERS WITH COMMERICAL MOWERS AND WHEN THEY FINISH A LAWN IT LOOKS GREAT. WHEN I'M DONE CUTTING THE LAWNS IT LOOKS GOOD BUT IT IS NOT DEFINE & THE LINES LAST FOR A DAY MAYBE.

IS THIS TYPICAL FOR A BRAND NEW MACHINE WITH ONLY 60 HRS ON IT? I HAVE MULCHING BLADES ON IT AND KEEP THE MACHINE IN MINT CONDITION

WHAT MOWERS DO YOU GUYS REC. FOR LEAVING A GREAT APPEARANCE ON A LAWN WHEN YOUR DONE CUTTING?

IS THIS TYPICAL FOR SCAG MOWERS?

BISHOP of CCL :alien:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, this is typical for Scag mowers. I don't know if it's that they don't have quite the blade tip speed as some others do, or what. Are you maintaining the same lines over and over again? Or, are you tracking off your original two sets by a little bit. (or however many)? Many times, if you're cutting in four different directions, it takes a LONG time for these stripes to relly get set in, and even with that, they still never stand out like just two direction (regular checker) stripes do. The only way to make quadra-directional stripes really stand out, is to double cut it each time, doing the oldest two directions each time you visit. For small areas, though, this isn't all that bad, because you don't have to re do your borders, and you don't have to be so precise and careful on the trimming. i.e. you don't have to go all the way around things - they're already mowed around. In heavy growth, you'll find that double cutting will get much better results, anyway. You may also want to look into running doubles (blades), if you haven't already done so.

3. Do you have the stiff deck scagg or the floating deck scagg ultimate ?The floating deck for us has been great and it stripes great.But our stiff deck for some reason does not give as good of
    a cut.I think the reason is its hard to get a good deck pitch on the stiff decks. You might want to see if the deck pitch is 1/4 lower in the front than in the back of the deck

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You may need to make you a chain setup to go behind the scag

5. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

:rolleyes: Seems like someone is waiting for a link to another brand?
    What other mowers have you considered besides a SCAG?

Also- all caps is a no-no makes it look like you're yellin....
    but YOU knew that! ;)

6. Nick

Nick Banned

I have one and it stripes better with double blades and always make sure the deck pitch is set right, this is probably most important

7. Nick you are right on the money there also like 65 hoss said a chain stripping rig does wonders.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I'm fairly new to the business so I don't really know what a chain setup is. I keep the mower on the same lenght as the dealer gave it to me. I also looked at Exmark's but the dealer wouldn't give me lower price than retail.
    The scag dealership in my area is well know, they treat me well, the service is great and most of my competition use Scags. That is mainly why I purchased a scag & also got the dealer down about $400.00

further info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bishop of CCL :alien:

9. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Bishop...

I have a Scag 36" fixed deck that did not stripe well. I set it up with double blades (Scag High Lift blades on the bottom and Gator Magnum Mulchers on top) and it stripes fine.

Sometimes the deck angle has a lot to do with stripes, sometimes it is the clearance of the blades to the underside of the deck. Sometimes it is both and sometimes neither. Experiment and see what you come up with. I have one spacer under the front caster arm and 3 on top. I also have only two spacers between the spindle and the blades.

If you want to learn about striping and striping kits, do a search. There are numerous examples to base yours on.

Good Luck,
    Mark

10. So what "lenght" do you use the mower at?

Oh you mean "Height".

And that's another common mistake made in this industry "dealer wouldn't give me lower price than retail"

So to save $400 you bought a different brand.

$400 in the long run will make you more than $400 damn dollars.

The biggest mistake in the industry is penny pinching on equipment.

DUMB!!!

DUMB!!!

DUMB!!!

Always buy the best tool for the job. That would be like buying a hammer to drive a screw in.

BTW my mower doesn't make tracks, it stripes LOL