1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does your spouse help out?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 19, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Is your spouse involved with your business?

I have many positive things to say about my wife's involvement regarding 'our' business, but I'd sure like to hear from you guys. I searched, and I don't think this topic has ever been brought up before .... perhaps worthy of publishing in trade magazines?

So please respond if it applies to you or anybody else you know. Thanks very much.:usflag::canadaflag:

P.S. Ladies -- don't be shy. Thanx
  2. mine is very involved, I make it she spends it, if that counts.
  3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

My wifes involvement in my business is a huge asset! Her expensive harvard education has paid off for us. I have contracts that we would not have attained without the awesome job she did on the cover letter as well as the contract. Her backround working full time for a large boston law firm has been a great asset as well.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

My wilfe helps but not with the book work she likes to help out in the field.But that will slow down this year we bought a deli now she has a big job to do
    Charles Cue
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sure enough. Couldn't get along without her. Jan posts all the charges and payments to the computer. Because I am just not very accurate with numbers. I still send out the bills and do the collections work.
  6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife worked for a pharmaceutical research company before she became a High School Science teacher. She basically set up her former employers contact database and maintained it among many other duties. She has done the same for me here at our home office. I couldn't have done it without her. She's smart and pretty hot too! What else could a guy ask for:)
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Mine has told me I need to get a real job that pays something:hammerhead: I can just feel the love and support.:laugh:
  8. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I apply the rule to never hire someone I'd feel uncomfortable in firing
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

When I met my wife, Mindi, she was working one full-time job and two part-time jobs -- often getting home at 1:00 a.m.. She was also raising two daughters by herself. We got married and soonafter started a lawn service company. She did our books one day a week then while she maintained her full-time job. As we grew, she quit her other job and went full time as our bookkeeper. She had one year at Drake, and she was a bonded bookkeeper. I am a graduate horticulturist. It was a perfect match. I contribute most of our success to my wife. I think the world of her.

One of our applicators is a lady, and her husband works for another local lawn care company. This works well for them too. :)
  10. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine trys to help.. but after working all day at her regular job, she's not really 'into' it..

And I don't think even if she was full time that she could ever live up to my work standards... no one else ever does.. I guess the difference is, I have to go home with her :)

No.. this business is what I love... I shouldn't expect her to give her heart and soul to it too.. it's probably not what she 'loves'... :)

just my opinion.