1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Does your wife help with the biz?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eslawns, Oct 8, 2000.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

My wife just quit her 30k a year job. She's been talking about it for months. I wanted her to wait until next year, but she said she couldn't take it any more. Now she is supposed to take over the admin side of my biz. I was wondering how many of you do the same thing. It's only been a little over a week, what kind of problems can I expect? What do your wives do?
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife has her own career, with no direct involvement in the business whatsoever other than host at company outings.
  3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

My wife didn't like her job either, so I bought her a Walker
    and she has increased our income substancially, after the first 2 weeks of training. Now she runs the Lazer and the Walker better than any employees I have hired in the last few years. Great investment, I still do all the bids, etc, she does the billing.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mine plows,she is excellent.Very fast yet never misses a detail.She also does billing and stops at the accounts-everyone likes her and i swear i get more work when she is with me.She is a police officer too,so i have to share her with them.Her schedule and snow storms usually colide and that hurts.She mows once in a while if im behind or my back is hurting real bad,but she needs more practice on the DC still.
  5. IRISH

IRISH LawnSite Member

My wife is a big help she trims most of the bushes spreads fert answers the phone when not working same thing here i think she gets me work Actual labor from her is about 20-30 hrs. a week
    lots of help i am glad to have her

6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

My wife helps me when I need it, mostly trims shrubs, edging and trimming. OUR goal is for her to quit her job next year and work together full-time.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My wife has been doing the billing and phones for 4 years now and wants to help in the field. Next year she will start slow while our youngest goes to 1/2 day kindergarten then the year after we well expand.It helps out tremendously.
  8. sunrise

sunrise Banned

my biggest surporter on those long and bad days
    couldnt do it without her,and she has here own job
  9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Behind every successful man is a good woman.
  10. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

NO, wife does not help mow. She answers the phone and takes messages. She has allgeries and grass and weeds do not agree with her. Since I've got my Walker when I do get behind it doesn't take long to get caught back up. I helped a friend last week get caught up. He was behind 12 lawns and I had him caught up in one day. He uses a Simplcity Lawn tractor. He and his customers were totaly impressed with the Walker cut. Now some of his customers want me to start cutting their lawns. If your wife's does go out and help on the job site you guys are very LUCKY.