Doesn't have a Social Security Number....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TLS, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

A bit off topic, but I thought someone here may know best.

Wife and I have a house up for rent.

Several prospective tenants. None are coming back totally clean.

Have a family very interested (Mexican decent), and ready to move immediately. Husband, wife, baby and brother of husband.

They filled out our rental application/credit check form.

The Good:
    Husband and brother have been working at same restaurant for 7+ years as cooks/chefs. Two newer nice cars. Rest. owner came with on second meeting and couldn't say enough good about the brothers. Very good workers, always prompt, clean, etc.

The Bad:
    They don't use a bank, but most importantly, don't have Social Security numbers. :rolleyes:

Question:
    Are they considered illegal immigrants?
    Would they have drivers license/insurance?
    Would I be doing anything illegal by renting to them?

I have a good feeling about them, but without a SS#, I am unable to perform a credit check.

They are forced to leave current apartment due to new baby crying, noise, etc. This wouldn't be an issue in our rental.

Any help guys?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

yes, no, yes (I think). Not to say they will, but they could skip out whenever they wanted to & you might get left w/ a trashed house, no rent, & no way to track them.

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if they can't show a SS # then they are probably illegal. They don't use bank accounts cause then they can be tracked so they pay for everything with cash money because thats how they get paid for working here illegally.

4. GreenN'Clean

Question is would you rent to any other person without a SS# regardless of there white,black, indian etc?,, If you don't have a SS# then you aren't a legal citizen of the United States

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

EXACTLY! Why encourage people to stay illegal?

6. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't even think about it without a SSN, unles they have a valid work visa.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Tommy

Ask for a pay stub Or ask the restaurant owner if he got a ss # on them. You need to talk to your state people on renting to a person with out a ss#

8. GreenN'Clean

Well if they were here Legally and have been here working at a restaurant then should have there own SS# you shouldn't have to ask the Business owner. Why should an illegal have the right to rent or work without having a SS#? How many of you have ever tried to rent a house or buy one, buy a car open a bank account or get a job or a drivers license without showing proof of SS#? So why in the hell should illegals get away without doing it? I say don't rent to them tell them to go back to Mexico until they become a legal citizen of America

9. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

exactly. If there is a problem down the road & you need to collect money from them you will probably have a really hard time. I can't see going to court & announcing to the judge that you rented to an illegal with no social, who is probably working off the books & paying no taxes & now you want to sue him.

Since he does not use a bank & works off the books the only asset he seems to have is the car.

It's nice to want to help a struggling family but business decisions should never be based on emotion.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Business owner was at the rental house and said that he helped them get their current apartment, and cant say enough good about them. He is a local upstanding business owner that has lived in the area for many years.

They more than likely get paid cash from the restaurant ($800 each/wk).

Rest owner told me about their last car and how quick they paid it off and that they pay all their bills when they come in.

They are very polite... "yes sir" " no sir" type of guy.

My question is though.....

How do you have a baby in a hospital (I assume) when your an illegal?

How do you get a drivers license when your an illegal?

How do you get a car load (two) when your an illegal?

How do you obtain vehicle insurance when your an illegal?

And lastly, lets assume they ARE illegally here in the US..... Am I at fault as a landlord for having them as my tenant?

What if I didn't require a SS# to screen my tenants. How would I know?