1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Doesn't Overseeding Leading to Problems ???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lost Pine, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

I hear a lot on this site about reseeding and overseeding in the fall for lawn
    maintence. I rarely get requests for this and I know that it goes on a yard -
    yard basis, but doesn't all that seeding lead to crowded or overgrowth in a yard ???

2. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the variety of grass. The dominant variety here is Fescue, mostly the Tall variety. As it goes, fescue only grows vertically, not laterally. Thus you are always filling in the spaces to make it more dense. With proper fertilization and mowing height, tall fescue appears to be lush and thick. But if you separate the plants, there is space.... thus the need for seeding.
    We also overseed warm season turf with rye so the turf keeps its "green" appearance year round.

3. Lost Pine

Rebel II is a Fescue isn't it ?????

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Rebel is a patented and named turf type tall fescue. That just means it's a fescue that's been tweaked by the Loft's Seed Co, to grow well as a lawn grass. Fescue is one seed, one plant. It is a clumping grass and doesn't spread by stolons or rhizomes. It is best to overseed a fescue lawn every fall, as any dieback will leave a gap for a weed to germinate. I spec a mix to be 10% Kentucky Bluegrass and the remaining a blend of turf type tall fescues, usually 3 different types. The 3 types for varied disease or drought resistance and a little bit of bluegrass to fill in the gaps that will always occur. Some seed distributors do make a prepackaged mix like this. I believe Lesco sells the mix called 059434 - TRANSITION & BLUE SEED MIX.

Kirk

5. Lost Pine

WoW Kirk,

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you have been to my yard!!! That is exactly the problem and answer for me. I have a large yard, 110 x 150 of Rebel II which was seeded in 1994. It's a great yard, but I have NEVER reseeded. As such, I am getting crabgrass and other weeds slowly creeping into it. I didn't know that fuscue does not spread by rhizomes. Would you reccommend that I use the Lessco #059434 mix that you talked about in ZONE 7 New Jersey ?

Many Thanks.....

6. Dreams To Designs

Lost Pine,

Yes, I do you use that mix quite often here in Southern New Jersy. If I am not able to get the Transition Plus, I will use regular Transition and add my own bluegrass at 10% mix. If you have any dealers around you that sell Jonathan Green products. Their Black Beauty turf type tall fescue blend is gorgeous. You will just have to buy a small amount of bluegrass to mix in. If you need a large quantity, they will make any mix you desire.
    http://www.jonathangreen.com/lawncare.html
    You will need to eradicate any weeds now and prep the soil for seeding. If the soil is compacted, aerate. If not, you can go right to a slicer seeder and starter fertilizer and by spring you will have a thick dark green lawn again. You will have to use a crabgrass preemergant and fertilizer in the spring and maybe a second application of crapgrass preemergant depending on your area in the early to mid summer. Fescue is drought tolerant and will recover well if stressed, but does best with an irrigation and fertilization program.

Kirk

7. Lost Pine

What part of South Jersey are you in Kirk ..?

8. Dreams To Designs

Camden County, but I design all over the state. I am currently involved in quite a few projects in the Mullica Hill area. If I can be of any more help, feel free to contact me. My web site address is located in my profile and you can email me from there also.

Kirk

9. Lost Pine

Thanks Kirk,

Well I can't contact you or email you for 30days as I'm a new member.....Lawnsite rules....Also, I checked your profile and NO website address....can you help ????

10. Dreams To Designs

dreamstodesigns.com I thought that was in my profile, sorry.

Kirk