Dog Barf?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by PSUhardscaper, Aug 15, 2011.

1. PSUhardscaper

PSUhardscaper LawnSite Member

Had a customer ask about this fungus on the mulch we put down in the spring. I'm not sure it is dog barf fungus, but it has shown up after heavy soaking rains. Any ideas?

P8080067.jpg

P8080068.jpg

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same thing happen with a mulch job we did earlier this year, I was curious also as to what causes this.

3. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

that does look like slime mold considering it is in a mulch bed. The cause of it i am not 100% sure, I have read that it is from bad drainage in certain areas, lots of shade, or poor soil. I have also read that this is a helpful fungi to becasue it eliminates harmful bacterias to the plant. If thats true or not, I am not 100% sure.

The only way I have successfully elimintated it is to wait until it gets into a harder (more puffy, mushroom like stage) and then just take a shovel, pick it up and throw it away. trying to wash it away with water will just make it spread.

After you get rid of it, I also read that you can spray the area with a copper fungicide

4. LoomisLawnscapes

LoomisLawnscapes LawnSite Member
    from MA

Usually this will come from cheap/ poorly made mulch. It's from the wood itself decaying and the fungus feeding off of it. Wouldn't waste money on a fungicide. Just shovel it up like Lukemelo suggested.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

What exactly is cheap\poorly made mulch? Isn't mulch natural?

Any wood (mulch) will decay over time and fungus is what breaks it down as well as bacteria.

6. LoomisLawnscapes

from MA

Mulch should and mostly does have some sort of additive along with the colorant. This will help delay rot.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting. 90% of our mulch is 100% natural. The only additive to slow delay rot would be whatever nature provides. The other 10% is colored....BROWN. I don't do red mulch.

8. LoomisLawnscapes

from MA

Are you using cedar mulch then? That would be why you don't need to add anything. The stuff the OP is asking about is most definitely not cedar........

9. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

Same here,happened to me before too.Wonder what it always is?:confused:

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yup, slime mold it is, it happens sometimes here and there. we just shovel it out.

it sure does looke like barf though doesnt it.

speaking of dog barf, that is what i just had to let my dog out for.....so she could puke. how ironic i then come in to this thread