Dog Bite!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Raider, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Raider

Raider LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I had a first today. I was mowing at an apartment complex today and a guy that lives in a house next door waves me over to his fence. I go over there to talk to the guy about removing some bushes and trees and put my hand on the top of chain link fence, and his dog jumps up and bites my thumb. It is a pitbull, and it clamped on hard, I had to shake it off of my thumb. It was just hanging off my fricken thumb!!! The best part was the guy says, like it was no big deal, Oh, sorry about that. The dog has had rabies shots, but my thumb is black and blue and I can't hardly move it, and there is one good sized puncture that bled like hell!! This guy has two of these little dogs and they both high strung. " Oh, sorry about that", I about punched him right in the face.

2. BryceBentleyLCS

BryceBentleyLCS LawnSite Member

I would have killed the Dog. The owner should have said he would take you to the doctor to get it checked out or pay for medical bills, that is B.S. :usflag:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would've went ahead and gave the man a REALLY good price on all that work. :p

But, I'm also not sure I could've kept a level enough head to even think of giving such a good deal in return.

4. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

id kicked the dog in the nuts then the owner... you probably should get that thumb checked out just to be on the safe side

5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Once was bitten in the hand by a chow, a dog bite is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Takes forever to heal, and you may never get over it. I do not even like dogs that I know well anymore for fear it may happen again.

Took a long time to even warm up to my own dogs after that. SUCKED BAD!

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

A dog bite here is an automatic 7 day quarantine at the owner's expense. The animal control then tests the animal for rabies, and the owner must produce vet shot records before the animal is returned. Cost to owner is around $500.00, then the Dog is recorded as 1st time biter, second bite you can request to have the dog euthanized. I have been bitten myself, and it sucks. I took pictures of my bite for documentation (police liked that), and in this business sometimes you will come face to face with the same dog again. I have my carry permit, and did not have time to get my gun out before the dog let go. Easier said than do to "just shot" a dog while it's biting you, unless it's latched on you most dog bites happen quickly.

7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

1. You should immediately verfiy the dog had his rabies shots by calling the dog's veterinarian. That guy could be lying and you could be dying.

2. It's common sense to have that thumb checked out by a doctor.

3. That guy, or his home insurance policy should pay for your medical costs.

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

So are you going to follow through with this? I would have never walked away without letting the owner know he'll be paying the medical bill.

9. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

trust me on this one.
    You need to call animal control and report this.
    You need to go to the dr. or a clinic and get this checked out.

You have no idea (no one does) how serious a dog bite is in terms of infection. It will get infected and then your really in trouble.

Anyone who wishes to chime in here and tell you any different would be foolishly naive.

Get it reported, get on anitbiotics. I hate taking them but the fact is most dog bites become infected. Since it is your hand extremity it's much worse that other parts body if/when it gets infected there isn't much meat so it goes for the bone. Bad stuff.

Plus what are you going to do if they have to cut on your thumb.

Don't take this lightly but also don't expect a windfall in terms of compensation. Get to the Dr. and make this guy pay for it. Usually 3x's your expense.

You really should trust me on this one. I know.

10. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

Any dog bite should be reported to the police who will send an animal control officer out to check it out and force the owner to produce the verification of vaccinations and license. If verification cannot be produced the animals will be put in quaranitine and tested (at owners expense).
    I would also proceed immediatly to the ER and have the bite looked at and photographed. Then sue the owner for medical bills, lost work. pain and suffering,etc.
    It is the only way the dog owners will learn to control their animals, and not take a dog that is prone to bite lightly.
    And I say this as someone who once owned a dog that grew up to be a little sketchy. She was a sweet dog, not viscous, but could be a little prone to nip when stressed. I went to great pains to keep her under control and warn everyone away. She eventually nipped a kid from next doors hand when he had come into my yard uninvited. I advised the kids parents to do exactly the same thing. The bite wasn't severe and they didn't ask me to pay for the doctor's bill even though I volunteered to pay it.