1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dog bite!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cigar6, May 25, 2002.

1. cigar6

cigar6 LawnSite Member

I hope this has not happened to anyone else on the board, but I'm hoping to get an idea of how to handle this.

Friday morning I was cutting an overgrown property for a mortgage company( the property had recently been foreclosed on by the lender.) We handle a number of forclosed properties and after inspecting the yard for hidden "land mines" ( trash , rocks, carjacks, etc.) that could wreck the walk behind that I use for these properties I proceed to cut the yard only to be attacked and bitten by a neighbors dog whose leash reached from his dog house about 20 feet into the yard I was in.

He got me on the back of the calf, and when I turned around to crack him on the head he got my hand and ripped open my ring finger from the knuckle forward.

Long story short after a trip to emergency room and 6 stitches later, I am now faced with what I should compensated for this ordeal. I talked with owner, they will cover all medical expenses and are very sorry. but I am also in lot of pain and can't hold any trimmers or other equipment at this time.

What would you do??? Sue for damages??? I hate to be a prick ,but I am really pissed off over this whole ordeal.

Any input is appreciated, and I hope that this doesn't happen to anyone else out there.

On a good day we all have enough to deal with already.

Thanks for letting me vent, and I am curious as to what others think.
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was in your shoes I would pursue legal action for lost wages, and some pain and suffering. You don't have to take them to the bank over it but why should you suffer because of someones ignorance.
    If the shoe were on the other foot and your mower kicked a rock through their window or worse hit them in the finger and required stitches do you think that they would be as forgiving?

In my opinion the owner shouldn't be giving the dog a leash long enough to go onto someone elses property.

Be nice but get your lost wages and suffering back.

P.S. Now tell me how you get those Mortgage company (forclosed properties and such). I am interested in cutting some of these overgrown city properties, but I don't know who to contact about servicing them.
  3. cigar6

cigar6 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input. I to feel that this is the fair thing to do.

What I keep thinking about is if some small child was playing nearby? This dog could have seriously hurt them. The dog is impounded for ten days ( rabies watch), and if found to be overly aggressive may be subject to being put to sleep.

With regard to the foreclosed properties , I have been fortunate to get connected with several real estate agents who represent FANIE MAE, HUD or VA properties.

There tend to be only a few agents that handle these properties, but those who do deal with a lot of foreclosed or REO properties.

Find out who handles the foreclosed properties in your area.

They are usually very overgrown, and after a "Jungle Cut", they are required to be maintained on a bi-weekly basis unrtil they are sold.

We are actually cutting some again this year that didn't sell last year.

Thanks again for your input,
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would at least go for lost wages, ALL medical bills and to have the dog put down.
  5. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

My dad got bit a month ago by a customers dog. Then he got an infection on the opisite leg but the dog had all its shots. We don't know how he got the infection, but he couldn't walk for 2 days so I was out of school and did all the work. Well we told her, she was very sorry and today she sent my dad a 250$ check which covered more then the bills.
  6. I agree with cigar6. Further, leash or no, as long as you were not intruding or threatening that dog, his owner or property, he shouldn't have bit you. I love dogs, even so, if one of mine bit someone unprovoked, it'll be dirt nap time. Being sorry is all well and good, but if the dog's owner is sincere, they'd offer fair and complete compensation, just as we should for incidental damage. If they resist, then the legal system will have to judge and maybe that will force a change to keep the next guy from getting bit. ;)
  7. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree, wages, medical bills and, this dog MUST be put to sleep so it doesn't attack someone else again.
  8. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

If it has affected your work or slowed u down making your day any longer. You should collect.
  9. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

for pain and suffering, I think the courts add 10% to the total amount that was spent on lost wages amd medical expenses...
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I used to have 6 foreclosed properties, best money I hever made. The only problem is they are, or seem to be, in the worst parts of town. Once I did my overpriced initial clean-up I then did my bi-weekly cuts in less time than a regular account but made 50% more each cut! I love it. Then they all sold.:mad:

As for the dog. I'm pretty sure I would have been justified to put one of them .40 holler points in his ass...........He was out of bounds by leaving his yard, chain or no chain.

Like someone else mentioned, if you sent a rock, jack, spare tire, kickstand.........all of the above.........into their yard and even hit the dog and hurt it, they would have you on a short rope under a tall tree. Sounds like you'll have to hire someone to do the trimming now that you can't.............who's gonna pay for that? You wouldn't need this expense if the doggy didn't bite. Heck, what if he'd bit you in the "boys", the "package", would you wanna be a nice guy then? I think overall I'm a pretty fair guy. When it comes to **** like this then I would take the gloves off. Most of these dogs that are left on chains are used for one thing and it appears that this one was trained well.

Did you mention the breed of dog?