Dog Bombs

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Not your average thread here but I'll give it a shot....

A Landscape Designer friend of mine got a call to bid an install in a side yard that's been a dog run for years and years. Its bad. Besides being totally gross she wondered if there'd be a greater likelihood of unfriendly beasties in the soil as a result of pet wastes. I couldn't say other than I know most composters recommend not adding pet wastes to the pile. Any thoughts about how to approach a situation like this?

2. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

Can you post pics, what is the pH of that "dirt" its got to be out of whack. I think you should start there, not that I am an expert, but if the pH is out it locks up all the nutes in the soil. Then maybe aerate and topdress with compost and start hitting it with compost teas, OFTEN. Thats what I would do but im sure someone more educated will chime in soon. Just my .02

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Hose it all into the soil as much as possible and till it all in. Tilling it in will help the soil digest it quicker. I wouldn't recommend planting carrots for harvest in there but the grass will look good for quite a while :)

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Without seeing the place and knowing the types of soils involved, I would suspect compaction to be an issue. Therefore that would be the first thing I would look at.

As far as the other stuff goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I might till in some organic matter/compost and just mulch the area for a month or so, keeping the soil moist (not wet) before planting anything.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

most dog waste solids are high in nitrogen low in other nutrients. protein eaters are dirty, the soil biology is going to be a hit and miss. till it real good and add some woody material to get the C:N ratio at 8:1 and every thing should work itself out. watering it in is not a bad idea ether. perhaps POUND =1000 worms can also help, just get some that are going to be OJ outside temp. wise. yeast will also burn up poo real fast.just not the kind used for beer. think more along the lines of what will eat this stuff.

good luck and woof woof