dog = brown spots in lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DUSTYCEDAR, Aug 21, 2003.

1. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have several accounts that have female dogs and wherever they pee i get brown patches. i re-seed and the dog kills the new seed. moving the dog is not an option, the homeowner is a blockhead.
    is there anything i can do to try to prevent this.

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have read that putting lime in the spots helps with the acid of the urine. I will try this, because some of my customersa have this problem, and I also have this problem right now. I am seeing more and more as my 6 month old lab gets older and bigger.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

my 6 month old female lab has destroyed my back yard it was slit seeded this spring and looked great and she has turned it into a vast waste land of mud dog pee and holes i don't know what to do with it good thing she is cute

4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard gypsum works good on dog damage....

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

True Spuds

that is cause urine contains salts. Although Gypsum is not a quick fix.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

from PA

thanks 4 the help

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

8. Hometown Lawn Care

Hometown Lawn Care LawnSite Member

They sell a pill that buffers the nitrogen in the dogs urine, search online for that pill.....

Its the only remedy there is..... Dogs pee actually kills the grass by over fertilizing it, lol

9. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Local rumor has it that two spoonfulls of tomatoes, diced from a can in each dinner will help to greatly reducwe the problem. I have suggested it and gotten good results...

EG

10. jonw9

jonw9 LawnSite Member

A couple of things I researched, before I go to the link.

1) Is the dog spayed? If not that will help (EDIT: According to the link, this is not actually proven :( )
    2) Put some water in with their food. It will force the dog to drink more water, effectively dilluting the urine.
    3) Here are some "treats", I used them this Spring, but stopped when I ran out. I am not real sure on their effectiveness, because I stopped using them. They were about $10 for a box.

http://www.millenniumlawns.com/