Dog crap !

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shostoppa, Aug 4, 2009.

1. shostoppa

shostoppa LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever turned down a job due to dog crap? do you charge more?:laugh:
  2. honeydopm

honeydopm LawnSite Senior Member

Deal with it, it comes with the territory.....literally.
  3. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, and Yes.

If I run over dog crap and get it on my mowers I charge an extra $20.00 for cleaning my equipment and my time. I feel that its not fair to my clients that do not have dogs for my mowers to be dragging dog crap onto their yard from another yard.
    If people want to have dogs they should take responsibility for them, I'm in the turf business not the dog crap business.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but that is my policy and it works well.
  4. not a problem, blades slice right through it.
  5. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

ditto, no flame from here
  6. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I too charge a equipment clean up fee. Mine is only $10. It's on our contract that it must be picked up day of service otherwise we charge.
  7. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

We had a little co. around here that would go around and pick-up droppings for a fee, but never used.
  8. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

Poop patrol!!! Thats the name of the co.
  9. shostoppa

shostoppa LawnSite Member

I havnt had the issue yet, I have great dane and if i didnt pick up it would be like, attacking a yard of dirt w/ a blender.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    but seriously thanks guys.
  10. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Awwwwww the dreaded dog poo! I have two customers who NEVER pick up after their dogs. I mention it to the customers all the time and even remind them on there invoices in the message box. I too charge a cleaning fee for poo smeared on my tires and flung up onto the deck and splattered under my gas tanks, as well as jammed under my boots!

Two weeks ago when we had 80+ temps and humidity I was whipping along a fence line and SPLAT I got sprayed with fresh juicy Poo right in the face!!!!!! I was so ticked off!!!! I didn't even finish trimming after that. I came really close to pounding on the door and giving the homeowner a few choice words but I knew if I did that it wasn't going to be good so I loaded up, drove about 2mi down the road and calmly (had to grit my teeth and bit my lip) called the customer and filled him in on what just happened.

As someone else said, it comes along with the territory, you just have to suck it up and deal with it, it's an occupational hazard we have to deal with in this low skill line of work.

I'll never get use to it, but I have learned to deal with it. It sucks either way but what can ya do.......