1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dog destroys stuff: whose fault?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Jul 30, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok so i just found out that last week i did a house on tuesday afternoon at the same time i always have now for over a year. they own a large dog that always want to get out of the yard and since no one is home, they told me i could lock him inside a fenced off area where their pool is. every week i lock the dog up and leave him there, the homeowner get off home usually by the time i leave and i guess lets the dog out whenever. this has been the routine now for quite some time. today he tells me that i didn't let his dog out last week and he and his wife were out of state and his kids were not home for a couple of days either. so the dog stayed locked up for a day or two and tore up everything in the enclosure. his main beef was his drip system. i offered to pay for the repairs, and he asked if i'd just reinstall it for him and he'd provide the parts. but i got to thinking about it and i think i'm getting shafted. what would you guys have done?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

The customer is negligent.

If you kept to your same routine every time and never let the dog back out after you were done mowing, then why would you be expected to this time?

The customer should have called and notified you to tell you that they were leaving out of state. At that time they should have given you instructions as to what to do with the dog once you were done mowing.

From the story you described, this is not your fault.
    I would have put my foot down immediately, and put the blame back onto the customer where it should be.
  3. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

Let me get this right they were leaving the Dog outside for a Few Days? Something is wrong here.
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As you relate the story, it is not your fault. But, if you have already offered to do repairs, you are kind of stuck with it. Next time, don't be so quick to offer to fix something that is not your fault. You'll run into this in the future, so remember it.
  5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

You need a dog/pet policy,"All care,no responsibilty",thats mine,I'm there to cut the lawn not babysit someones pet for them.This owner sounds like most of the dog owners on my run,they have a dog and its a total PITA to them,the only exercise and entertainment the dog gets is chase the lawn guy or his gear.What responsible dog owner would leave their animal at home for a couple of days without food or exercise.If you let the dog out and it bites someone would they blame you too?.Owner certainally has a cheek to blame you for his dog destroying his property too!.Next time you talk with him mention whatever animal welfare agency you have there in the conversation,I'm sure animal neglect beats a chewed water pipe any day.Before you admit liabilty next time,claim your right to consult Lawnsite on the matter,you get great advise,as the above posters have done,and its free.Cheers........
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

most people either kennel or get friends or family to watch after the dog.
    this guy just leaves him to fend for himself. like someone else said
    somethins wrong. my bet, his kid or friend, was suppose to do it, an just didnt. u are an easier target. depends on how much u need him,and how much right an wrong mean to u. i couldnt ride that horse.
  7. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

Are you getting paid for dog sitting????????? You are going to repair his property for his neglect???? What is your profit margin on this job. What does this job mean to you? Iwas on a job the other day and mowed around some dog_ _ _ _. I expected the customer to call and say something. I guess they know better anyway my answer would have been. Sure I will clean it up for $25.00 a pile. Imean I would have made a $125.00. But no If I wanted to do that I would work at the Kennel.
  8. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Not your fault you never let it out before, so why would you start now unless they called and asked you too.
  9. I agree with Tvov
    shouldnt be your problem but if you said you would do something, best to do it.
  10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

It is great to be nice to a customer but you are in business to make money not best friends that will walk all over you. If you fix this for free I would be prepared for the next thing that happens.