Dog Doo sparks trouble for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NNJLandman, Sep 30, 2006.

1. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

So I have been having problems with customers just letting their pets go anywhere in the yard to the bathroom, then they dont pick up any of it, just leave it there for me the lawn man to get on my shoes and equipment. So last month I decided to make up a letter and attempt to but a stop to it, but apparently some customers have taken offense to the letter and have discontinued their services and have sent me some nasty messages. Here is the letter, you tell me what yall think.

Dear Customer,

Due to an extreme amount of recent incident I must notify all customers that any dog, cat, or pet droppings that are left in your yard in which my equipment, my employees, or myself run over/step on, you will be charged an additional $20.00 for each pile of pet wastes in your yard. Please understand your pet waste get on our footwear and equipment, we then take time out of our day to clean our footwear and equipment which becomes a hassle and very time consuming. There will be zero tolerance for this and you will find these charges added to your monthly billing should this occur on your property.

Sincerely,

Jeff
    Jeff’s Property Services LLC

I wanted a letter that wasnt bias, yet made my point, I shared it with several familiy members and several friends before sending it out just to see what they thought. Well sure enough I got one nasty note from one customer saying my letter was shocking and inapropite, another today said they are discontinuing my service for the hostile communication I sent them. I dont get it. What do yall think.

Jeff

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I just look around for poo and only cut the front if there is poo in the back. I will still charge full price for mowing the front. This usually works because people want there grass cut and want to get the most for their money.

3. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

You can get good at weed whacking around a pile of dog mess. But the day you hit the pile with the weed whacker is the day you stop weed whacking around it. :hammerhead:

Its kind of like antagonizing a skunk. Its all fun and great until you finally get sprayed, then you'll never do it again. There's nothing worse then the concentrated stink of skunk or the taste of dog mess. :p

If I'm on the rider I don't mind dog mess. Any other situation and I do mind dog mess. I haven't charged more or skipped mowing because of it yet. I have nicely mentioned it to a few customers though.

4. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Man i back you 100 percent nothing is worse than dog crap on you and equipment if they don't like it screw em,don't take no one's crap you sent em a easy to understand letter i might have reworded it a little but you got your point across.

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I think the letter could have been more polite, and $20 a pile is a little excessive, but it sounds like the dog sht problem was excessive also. If I had gotten that letter I probably would have cancelled also, but it sounds like you have made previous attempts to solve the problem, so you did what you had to do, and I have been rude to customers on occasion when I am really FED UP with their stupidness. At any rate, you have one less dog sht yard to mow!

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with lawnbrother. Your letter seemed a little strong. If I was a customer, I would have gone from feeling bad for what I'd left you, to thinking "forget you" when you told me, a customer, about your "zero tolerance" policy.

You want them to pick up the crap more than you want them to fire you.:)

7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I think you may have stepped in it.

8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Your letter is ********.

9. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

Having worked in the parks since 1974 I have cut my share of poo.

This year I started a lawn care service, guess what??? I'm still cutting poo.

Guess what else??? Every time I send out an invoice I get paid.

IMO it is a slight inconvenience to wash off my equipment.

If however I came across a lawn covered in poo, that would be a different story, the occasional poo does not get me excited. There are bigger things to be concerned about.

10. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

It is a little "hostle". Not to mention over board...$20 each pile. Come on.

This is what I do:
    I inform the customer of the inconvenience the dogs are creating and tell them that there will be a $25 MONTHLY fee if it is not picked up.

It is fine with me if they dont pick it up too because I just mow around it. When they see 10 round high spots in there yard they get the point that I am not going over it.