Dog Dung Anyone??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by integrityman, Apr 5, 2007.

1. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I mowed a lawn where three labradors cohabitate...Needless to say they make a lot of doggy fertilizer.... do you guys pick it up? I did just because there was soooo much and I didnt want to step in it or get it all over my mower. (Plus I thought it would score extra points with the homeowner and make for a healthier lawn.) Do you charge extra for that service? Thankfully it was quite cold today- and the stinko wasnt too bad. It took about an extra 15-20 mins-

2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I drop them faster than you can say poooohh:) . Seriously, I'm not cleaning dog crap for any customer. Get it on your machine and you're smelling it all day long.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i mow & trim around it. and then hose it off at the customers house if i get it on me or the equip.

4. integrityman

I hear ya...but.....I dont really want to drop them as I only have 7 accounts....

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I just mow around it and let them deal with it. :walking:

6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell all my customers it's $3 per pile if it is not cleaned...they clean it...every now and then they miss one...I don't worry about it...the $3 is more or less a bluff to scare them and to encourage them to clean up after their dog...I hate dogs by the way.

7. integrityman

I tell all my customers it's $3 per pile if it is not cleaned...they clean it...every now and then they miss one...I don't worry about it...the $3 is more or less a bluff to scare them and to encourage them to clean up after their dog...I hate dogs by the way.
    Good idea- I don't think these folks picked up the crap all winter. Absolutely no way to mow around all of it.....I filled three buckets full. The grass was getting tall and needed attention. The customer wasn't home - otherwise I most likely would have said something. Fortunately are decent paying customers.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I just did a clean up for a lady with 3 dogs. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with do-do from the winter.........$100 for 45 minutes work........ that's about a dime per turd.....

9. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed that when you start doing extra stuff like that, people start expecting it everytime, which is when it becomes a problem. The $3 is an excellent idea I think.

Has anyone ever hit a pile with a trimmer. Oh boy what fun that is!

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yes, I have hit a pile before. Had to clean off my glasses and went to the nearest rest room to wash my face. I was so disgusted, I made my boss drop the account because of it. We cut it with a walker and the dog turds would get all piled up between the back wheels and then we would put it away in our enclosed trailer. Get to the next job and open the gate and WHAM!!! A nice big gust of dog poo stench just hits you and almost knocks you over:laugh: Not my idea of fun. I refuse to cut lawns with dogs that do not maintain there dog poo. How would you like to have the job of the companies that go around all day scraping up dog poop and putting it in bags in the truck?? I bet it dont smell to nice in mid summer!!;)