Dog gone seeded grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lilchunk2, Feb 25, 2005.

1. lilchunk2

lilchunk2 LawnSite Member

I am curious to know if anyone knows how to keep a dog off of a seeded area without having to remove the dog from the property or have to build a wall of china just to keep the dog from trampling it.

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Does he dig in it or just walk across it? Reason I ask is if he is digging I would suggest the following method: Dogs being creatures of habit somewhat will tend to dig in the same places especially if you repeatedly fill the spots in. What has worked for me, at least with dogs I've owned is to sprinkle some tacks in the spot where they dig then cover back up. When they come back to dig again they will quickly find out they really have no desire to dig any more. I don't know if this is a method one would want to approach a customer with but it is tried & true. Key is the dog receives punishment at the time of infraction and thereby retains the memory. When tacks are no longer necessary simply use a magnet to remove. I've never seen them strewn about by the animal digging so removal is really simple. I have offered this method to numerous folks and as far as I know it has a 100% success rate.

-Geoff

3. lilchunk2

Not so much the digging factor its just the running back and forth and forth and back and a few circles then back. I guess another good question would be i live in B.C lower mainland region what is a seed to put down that is durable enough to have dogs and kids running abusing it.

4. Green-Pro

Bluegrass, rye grass and some tall fescue are popular around here, personally I prefer the bluegrass, and it is a durable product IMO. I'm not sure what would work well for you given your area, maybe search agriculture extension sites in your area?

-Geoff

5. lilchunk2

Thanks geoff i went with a playground mix now its just pray for the dog to stay off seeded area.

6. Green-Pro

Tough one with the dog, hopefully he will stay out of area until it gets established, or at the very least only do minimal damage.

Good Luck

-Geoff

7. pema

pema LawnSite Member

I have this same problem. Overseeding and Slit Seed jobs on properties with dogs have had less than desireable results because of "Dog Paths".

My solution worked good enough to pass along to all who is interested. The idea came after reading about a plastic grate system used in grass parking lots. Usually overflow lots at malls and the like. The grate protected the crowns of the turf from vehicle traffic. I simply used the same concept and laid a plastic grate in the path area. Once the grass grew the grate was hidden enough to leave in place, or it could be removed.

I use this option only if a small area is effected. Runs along fences become impractical to maintain and I usually suggest the homowner use some sort of ground cover.

Finding the plastic grate is the hard part. I found a Honeycomb shaped plastic grate used for some kind of pad and cut it to desired size.

8. lilchunk2

Plastic grate is a great idea for the high traffic areas like you say but cheap platic grate is probably hard to find. Its forcasted to rain for for the next 4 days so the dog will be inside.

9. Carino Property Services

Carino Property Services LawnSite Member

I seeded a 20x20 area last year, all I did was put some wood stakes in the ground and strung yellow caution tape. One around the tops of stakes one around the middle. Yelled at dog a couple times smacked his arse once and I have a really nice reseed job now.

Good Luck