dog **** in back yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adamc6, Mar 1, 2003.

1. adamc6

adamc6 LawnSite Member

I was at a house the other day to give an estimate, and it was obvious that the lady doesnt pick up after her dog very well. It's such an easy mow and good money maker, but i dont want to have to deal with **** every week. Do any of you have this prob...

2. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I have 1 yard I will somtimes run into a small pile or 2. I usually just end up mowing over it. If there was a bunch out there I would have to talk to them about it or probably drop if nothing was done.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Dog turds blow pretty well with a good BP blower once they've hardened a bit. I can't stand properties with dogs. Even the customers who do clean up miss some. During leaf removal is the worst, because you can't see it.

Hit a juicy pile weed wacking over the summer...gotta remember to keep my mouth shut next time. Good thing I had a clean shirt in the truck, because it was splattered all over my left shoulder. The baby wipes came in handy too.

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Luckily I only have one customer that has a dog. She's my first customer of the week so she knows when I'll be there. When I pull up she's in the back picking up or just finishing.

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

We usually just mow over it. If there is alot, then set up an additional charge with the customer. That'll either make it more worthwhile, or get the customer to pick it up. I've dropped lawns in the past when nothing could be worked out. Some people us lawn care solely for the purpose of cleaning after their dogs.
    Good luck.

6. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Got 1 yard every dog in Chattanooga uses for toilet.I mow it in about 10 mins for 30.00.Carry extra pair of old shoes,if forget old shoes,drive home barefooted!:(

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh man, I think I would puke. I'll deal with the dog **** a couple of times but I will eventually say something to the homeowner. If they don't clean it up them, well they can find new LCO.

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I HATE DOG SHI@T!! I have dropped many of customers for it. Don't ask me what it is, but if I step in it it just gets me PISSED. I don't blow dog ****, pick it up, even go near it for that matter. If I can't get into the backyard with a rider, it doesn't get cut. Too many customers out there to be dealing with that shi@t... literally!! :cool:

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I just ignore it (although I am careful trimming near it!:p ). By the end of the day, the stuff has worn off the tires of the machines, and if I have to, I just leave my work boots on the deck overnight.

Years ago, I had one good customer who paid us substantially extra to cleanup the "stuff" from their large yellow lab. I would do it myself, because I felt it was a bit beyond the call of duty for "joe employee" to do every week.

10. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

My customers are usually pretty good for cleaning up. If there is dog **** on the lawn I let them know and usually it is picked up the next time. If they keep forgetting to pick it up, we still mow the lawn, but go around all the ****. The lawn has lots of long pactches then and the customer always gets the hint, and we have no problems after that.