Dog is killing my grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Homie, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Homie

Homie LawnSite Member

As a know-nothing homeowner, I am perplexed as to why my black lab (came along with my new wife) is killing the grass when she does her business (#1) on my grass. It looks like someone sprayed roundup on it.

First, does Scott's patchmaster work to fix dead spots, or is there another, better way?

Second, how do I prevent this from happening in the future. FYI - getting rid of the dog is not a viable option. Some have suggested lime, but I can't exactly follow her around with a bucket of lime every time she goes outside....

Thanks in advance for your help with this unfortunate situation.

2. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have 4 dogs: 2 Basenjis and 2 Shelties and no brown spots on my lawn. We use a product called Green-UM. Basically, this natural product makes urine less acidic. The product is available from Drs. Foster-Smith

I have also seen a similar product at PetSmart for a few $$$ less.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

5. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Your Missing the car tire after you just got finished washing it. Does it ever fail?
  6. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Get a basset hound - he doesn't pee on the grass, just his back feet.
  7. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Urine from a female dog is highy acidic. Take the dog for a walk an let her PPPPPPPPPPPP somewhere else. Or else you will just have to deal with the spots and treat with lime to neutralize.
  8. Homie

Homie LawnSite Member

Thanks for the visual, Eric.

So we'll try the "special treat" route.

But what about LIME? Will putting it on heavy help me, without killing the REST of the grass?